1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

request.getParameter() in same page as form .. ?

I have a jsp page with a form. form contains a textfield, once the user submits the form, i want jsp scriptlet to get the value of the user input and carry out processing on it within the same page and give a result.

problem is the first time the page is loaded, there is an error in the request.getParameter() statement since no form has yet been submitted i guess ....

if i use another page ... it works ... but i want to display the information in the same page ...

thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You must first check if the parameter exists. I see this mistake even by pros.
    Code:
    String p = request.getParameter("p");

if (p != null) {
        . . .
    }

You can make some external class for processing this, too. Even better if you can define a tag handler to handle that situation. Geary's 'Advanced Java ServerPages' has a pretty good discussion about custom tags.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You must first check if the parameter exists. I see this mistake even by pros.
    Code:
    String p = request.getParameter("p");

if (p != null) {
        . . .
    }

You can make some external class for processing this, too. Even better if you can define a tag handler to handle that situation. Geary's 'Advanced Java ServerPages' has a pretty good discussion about custom tags.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo