1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I cannot run an executable .jar file

First thing I want to say sorry if this question is not a developer's, because I'm just a guy having problem with java and all I tried had failed.
    I have an executable .jar file named rsbuddy.jar, downloaded from rsbuddy.com (you can find it easily, I'm not allowed to post the link here)
    The problem is, though it is executable and works completely fine, I cannot run it with a double click or anything. I know the file is good, because I tried running it on many different computers, moreover I have 2 OS in my computer (windows 7 and windows xp sp3), windows 7 run it just fine but windows xp cannot. I really want to run it in windows xp.
    When I double click the file, nothing happens. Or, the only thing happened was the mouse turning to an "hourglass" for a quick moment.
    I tried reinstalling java, using the latest version. I tried the file association as well. Nothing works. I tried searching for the solution everywhere online for almost a week, nothing works. I'm really frustrated, then I found this forum. I hope you guys (who are pros, I think) would spend a little time helping me with this.
    Many thanks!
    If you want me to supply any further information, I will. Thank you again.
    oh by the way, the other computers that I use to try the file was on windows xp as well, I don't know which service pack, but it's xp.
  3. No Profile Picture

Hi

sounds like the application is running and then exiting. Probably with an exception.

to see the exception

open up a comand prompt on windows, and us cd to get to your java bin directory(if your java isn't added to path)
    so type something like this:
    cd "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin"
    just replace the directory with your one.
    now type
    java -jar "<the\directory\to\your\jar\rsbuddy.jar>"

It should run and display some exception and stack trace.

copy the stack trace(everything on the comand prompt screen) in here so we can see what the problem is.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kai555
    Hi

sounds like the application is running and then exiting. Probably with an exception.

to see the exception

open up a comand prompt on windows, and us cd to get to your java bin directory(if your java isn't added to path)
    so type something like this:
    cd "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin"
    just replace the directory with your one.
    now type
    java -jar "<the\directory\to\your\jar\rsbuddy.jar>"

It should run and display some exception and stack trace.

copy the stack trace(everything on the comand prompt screen) in here so we can see what the problem is.
    I did it, and it came out like this:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    D:\Documents and Settings\Chung>cd D:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
    D:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin>java -jar E:\games\RSBuddy.jar
    D:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin>
    So, you can see that when I type the command, nothing happens as well this is a big puzzle for me.
  7. No Profile Picture

Possible solution

I recently had a similar problem running .jar files. I fixed it by re-installing my Java Runtime Environment or JRE as they say,
    I have XP and went for jre-6u26-windows-i586.exe
    Download and install it.
    After installing it I can run my programs (.jar) files again. This was a relief, hope this helps. Now I can just click on executable .jar files again and have them run.
    I hope this helps.

Originally Posted by darklordnd
    First thing I want to say sorry if this question is not a developer's, because I'm just a guy having problem with java and all I tried had failed.
    I have an executable .jar file named rsbuddy.jar, downloaded from rsbuddy.com (you can find it easily, I'm not allowed to post the link here)
    The problem is, though it is executable and works completely fine, I cannot run it with a double click or anything. I know the file is good, because I tried running it on many different computers, moreover I have 2 OS in my computer (windows 7 and windows xp sp3), windows 7 run it just fine but windows xp cannot. I really want to run it in windows xp.
    When I double click the file, nothing happens. Or, the only thing happened was the mouse turning to an "hourglass" for a quick moment.
    I tried reinstalling java, using the latest version. I tried the file association as well. Nothing works. I tried searching for the solution everywhere online for almost a week, nothing works. I'm really frustrated, then I found this forum. I hope you guys (who are pros, I think) would spend a little time helping me with this.
    Many thanks!
    If you want me to supply any further information, I will. Thank you again.
    oh by the way, the other computers that I use to try the file was on windows xp as well, I don't know which service pack, but it's xp.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo