1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I want to run java servlets on Linux. I've only briefly used linux before, I've just programmed Java applets/applications in Windows.

My first problem is what web server do I use? I've looking around and am a bit confused. Which web server would anyone recommend I use?

Thanks for your help

PLM
  3. No Profile Picture

Apache. It is rock solid - industrial strength. It comes with most linux distros. You can download the source and compile it if you want to - www.apache.org.

Craig Guthrie
    Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PLM:
    I want to run java servlets on Linux. I've only briefly used linux before, I've just programmed Java applets/applications in Windows.

My first problem is what web server do I use? I've looking around and am a bit confused. Which web server would anyone recommend I use?

Thanks for your help

PLM
    [/quote]

5. No Profile Picture

Thanks,

I've got apache, do i need to get apache jserv aswell? Is that the best servlet engine for apache?
  7. No Profile Picture

I'm not a java coder, but from a colleague of mine I heard that the JRun java-engine from Allaire is also available for the linux platform. And it should be good as well, coming with it's own webserver or as an apache add-on.
  9. No Profile Picture

I don't quite understand the difference between JServ and Tomcat but Tomcat is the Apache Group's Java container that allows you to run servlets and jsp. It's simple to install and runs well. They just had a major release of 3.2.1. The URL is: http://jakarta.apache.org/.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo