1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

seeking JSP book rec

Hello,

I'm new to java and JSP but have about 5 yrs experience with web development using perl (both cgi and mod_perl), php, oracle, mysql, and informix.

I've just been put on a JSP project and need to get up to speed relatively quickly. I've done some research and have seen these two books come up quite a bit:
    - Web Dev w/JSP by Fields/Kolb
    - Core Servlets and JSP by Hall

Would you recommend one over the other (or something else?). The knock I've seen against the Core book is that there is a follow-up "More" book instead of what was needed, a 2nd edition of the original book.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Phil
  3. No Profile Picture
    Clueless llama
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I have read both the core books. The 'more' book has a lot of stuff added that may not have fit into first book, though it does repeat some things from the first book.

Honestly, it has been a while since I have read them, so I cannot say which would be better for a seasoned web developer but no java experience. I did think both books were good and off the top of my head I would probably say start with the Servlets and Jsp and not the more book.

As for the other one you mention, I have never read it. After reading only a few jsp books I have found most of my information on the internet in tutorials and articles. There are tons of good tutorials on Suns web site.
  5. dont click here
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

i read the Core Servlets and JSP.. great book. You might find it a little redundant since u know the whole concepts of Web Programmings, and such.

I read it when i knew PHP and CFML, but didnt have much experience past the basic form processing and such.

It is actually available free online..
    http://pdf.coreservlets.com/

Read a lil see if it is of any use if so get it if u feel its a good reference.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo