1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

setting up jsp environment on windows 98

Hi Folks:

I post a message earlier about setting up java server pages on windows 98 (just regular 98 not second edition). I asked if it was possible to set it up with apache tomcat. I got one reply so far, and I am very grateful that someone replied so quickly. However, my problem still remains, and that is tomcat does not recognize the .jsp extension. I had a similar problem with apache recognizing the .php extension. I corrected this problem by installing BadBlue instead. Then php files were recognized. Now I am stuck on the .jsp extension. I believe that windows 98 se is the first operating system to successfully have the .jsp extension recognized, and that windows 98 is just too old. I am just a regular guy, not a dummie. Just a regular guy. I have been able to get tomcat running successfully every time, that is not the problem. The problem is that my .jsp extension is not recognized. To whoever replied earlier with the windows 98 se tomcat installation guide, thank you very much you made the process of installing and running tomcat much easier on windows 98, but the .jsp extension still is not recognized. I think I should stay away from apache products altogether when it comes to windows 98. I have been able to get tomcat to recognize the .jsp extension on windows2k a newer OS compared to windows 98. So, the problem is with win98. I am sure windows 98 se works great too. I have gotten tomcat to install and run successfully about twenty times, but the .jsp extension is not recognized. I had the same problem with php, but this was corrected when installing a non-apache web server. Has any one out there actually gotten java server pages to work on regular windows 98? If so, can you please be kind enough to help.

Thank you very much for your suggestions,

Valen
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I always thought the OS didn't need to know about the file extention unless you needed to open/edit the jsp file when you double click it.

As far as having the ability to run the JSP on the server, I think it all has to do with the server software's config.

Of course, I have been wrong before.

Have you done a google search for windows 98 and tomcat?
    Or maybe dig around on apache/jakarta to find any information on win 98 first release support.

You might also want to check out the mime types for tomcat and make sure they are set properly for the jsp file type.

Thats all I could tell you, my friend.
  5. PHP & Java Error Master
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

http://www.codestyle.org/java/server...at-Win95.shtml

That article runs through installing tomcat on win95, 98, and ME.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo