1. No Profile Picture
    Cthulu-ish
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Tomcat (or any other JSP application server) on a shared server?

Hello all-

I know it's possible-ish to set up a JSP app server on a shared server, I'm just wondering if anyone has any links to a tutorial or has any suggestions on the subject.

my situation is that I really like JSP/Java and what little I've learned about it. I'm really fluent in PHP and that's just because I've been able to teach myself through putting several good size personal projects online. I'd really like to do the same with some JSP projects and work myself into the language.

I figure as long as my host supports java I can set up an app server like Jetty or something and groove on it. any suggestions?
  3. dont click here

if ur host supports Java on the server side wouldnt they have it setup already?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Cthulu-ish

not necessarily- most hosts that support Java only have the basic JRE and pretty much expect you to use it for applets.

setting up a JSP container that's written in Java shouldn't be too difficult, I was just curious if there was any particular things I'd have to watch out for.
  7. dont click here

Originally posted by StinkFist
    not necessarily- most hosts that support Java only have the basic JRE and pretty much expect you to use it for applets.

setting up a JSP container that's written in Java shouldn't be too difficult, I was just curious if there was any particular things I'd have to watch out for.
    Applets are client side, they are downloaded to the users computer and run based on the users JRE, JDK etc.. Applets have nothing to do with the server, you can put applets on a with no java support and it will work fine.

i would look a little more into the host, often they say Java Support, which is not much when u craete applets and javscript , but u can do it on their server.. def took a harder look into your hosting service.. i dont think its possible to create some sort of JSP support if ur on a shared server.., but i dont know that much about servers and such,,
  9. No Profile Picture
    Cthulu-ish

I understand what an applet is

a lot of hosts have applet support in that they "offer" javac exactly as you said.

let me restate my question and clarify:

does anyone know if I would run into problems (and if so how I would get around them) trying to set up a JSP server on a shared hosting account?
  11. dont click here

Originally posted by StinkFist
    I understand what an applet is

a lot of hosts have applet support in that they "offer" javac exactly as you said.

let me restate my question and clarify:

does anyone know if I would run into problems (and if so how I would get around them) trying to set up a JSP server on a shared hosting account?
    interesting.. i didnt realize hosting services actually had javac, i figured they would make u compile and just upload the class,
    all the services ive dealt with never had this option..
  13. No Profile Picture
    Cthulu-ish

I guess I've just been a bit lucky then

well I decided to try to use Jetty and see what sort of luck I have- I'll let everyone know if it works out.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Well, make sure you have access to java as well as javac. I've never used Jetty, but if it's pure java, I don't see why it wouldn't run.

If all your host meant to support is applets, though, and they actually though about it a bit, they won't have given you access to a JVM. All you'll have is the compiler.
    -james

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo