1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wink Tracking the user downloading from the site-

Hi!
    I have developed a site for video download using JSP , running in apache-tomcat server on windows.The download page will have a movie split into small parts for the ease of download.

I need to track down the user activities as how much one valid user downloads from my site and restrict him in case he /she downloads more than 1GB data in the last 24 hours using his account.

How can i achieve this task.What user info can i have from the request in order to track the above said details. i want to do it in JSP way.Is it possible.If yes, pl. tip me as how should i go about it.

And i authenticate the user through userid and password.
    i can carry forward the user id and password till the download page.
    And here i am stuck.Once when the user clicks on the mpeg clip it starts downloading.How can i trap the user at this point that he has clicked the specified link.If i get toknow about this or any work around to know that the user clicked the link i will be able to validate the user for the download.

since i am in a hurry to complete the coding .i would appreciate any response relevant to this.

thanks in advance and regards
    sat
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi sat,

I would suggest to put these values in a Database-table (e.g. MySQL) with fields like User, Downloaded files, Downloaded MB,...
    So you can track whatever you want and additionally you can make reports out of these data if someone want.

Hth,
    Peter

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo