1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Using Tomcat with an existing LAMP platform

I just installed Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL and PHP on a RH 8 box and have everything up and running without a hitch.

I also wanted to set up an environment for working with and learning JSP/Servlets. I installed the JDK and Tomcat and have it running at port 8080 without a hitch, which will suffice for my basic testing and learning.

My question involves eventually linking Tomcat up with Apache so I can use JSP on a project-by-project basis (with vhosts) where it might be applicable. I was reading a tutorial here at DevShed that showed how to use JServ to link Apache with a servlet engine, but after reading some of JServ docs I learned (apparently?) that the project is in stasis for now and that the INSTALL for JServ recommended using Tomcat to take advantages of new developments in the servlet engine.

I guess all of this has led to some confusion on my part. I know a little bit of Java but haven't applied it in anything web relevant yet, and I was wondering if someone might be able to explain or point me in the right direction so I can start to accomplish what I described above. I'd like to learn how to set up Tomcat so it can work with my existing environment (on a development box) so it'll be one less thing to do later when I want to put in my production environment.

As always, thanks for your help everyone
  3. No Profile Picture
    Clueless llama
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I think this is what you may need. Also, I think I read somewhere that this is installed with tomcat 4.1 and up.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tom...jk2/index.html
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, this looks to be a better module for what I want to do. The old JServ required me install an older servlet thing (JSDK 2.0) which almost seemed to be separate from Tomcat itself. Thanks for the help!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

here u can download the tutorial for
    java webservice development pack including
    tomcat, servlets, jsp...
    might be interesting for u too
    cheers, jens

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo