Thread: Good JSP books

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Good JSP books

I'm new to JSP - but have used other languages such as php and cold fusion.

1) I was wondering if anyone knows of a good JSP primer - Like the Fast and Easy series.

2) Also, does anyone know of a cookbook type list of examples for Java and JSP.

I'm primarily interested in applets that can make online calculators and other interactive modules.

3) Are Java Applets the best way to go fo highly interactive online interfaces such as calculators and interactive mathematic models?

4) Is there a good resource for free interactive applets and online calculators (for interest rates, mortgage calculators, monthly payments, etc.) ?

Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture

I found Java Server Pages from Scratch by Maneesh Sahu (ISBN 0-7897-2459-6) to be very useful for learning JSP.

Sahu takes you through the process of building a JSP based Auction site with client access via Web pages, Applets and WAP.

Only a small section of the book addresses Applets and WAP, but the coverage of JSP, Servlets and JDBC access is very good.
  5. No Profile Picture

I found Wrox's Professional JSP quite good - better than O'Reilly's Java Server Pages (you can get the on-line version at safari.oreilly.com). But O'Reillys book has very useful custom tags for doing database queries and other things, though I'm sure you find something similar in Jakarta's taglibs though I haven't used them. If I was buying a book on this technology again I would go for something like Wrox's Java Server Programming. After a while with server-side Java you begin to realise that JSP is only a part of the overall picture (one should try and put most of one's code in Servlets/Javabeans and custom tags as much as possible)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo