1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Java Certification Question

All,
    I've been looking to obtain a certification preferably in the area of software development and I was really giving some serious thought about taking an entry-level JAVA SCJA exam. I've heard though that with open-source development and the .NET framework on the rise that JAVA has saturated the marketplace or is "too heavy" for some organizations to adopt into their existing development goals.
    Really, I'd like a couple of questions answered:
    1) Is it worth it to pursue the JAVA certification exams?
    2) How much longevity does JAVA still have?

I really would love to obtain atleast the first two certs but if JAVA becomes obsolete to the .NET's and PHP's of the world, then I don't want to regret the time and effort wasted. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

java isn't going to become obsolete to .net or php, anytime soon. Even if it were if you know how to program, it's just a matter of learning the new syntax and methodology (if needed)

I've heard though that with open-source development and the .NET framework on the rise that JAVA has saturated the marketplace or is "too heavy" for some organizations to adopt into their existing development goals.
    This doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Wouldn't java "saturating" the market be a bad thing? Believe me, Cobol programmers still have plenty of work to do updating/converting/maintaining legacy systems. The more java gets used, the more work there is for java coders. Too heavy for some organizations? You'll need to research and qualify that a little better.

As for your cert questions, here is a pretty good site on the subject. Also, i wouldn't exactly call SCJP an "entry level" test. Is it the first step on the cert track? Yes. Is it easy? Nope. They arent required to getting a job, Im sure they help, but they arent a necessity. You can do a search on all the other certification questions and get a bunch of opinions
    Open for extension, closed for modification
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks tf, I know that the JAVA programming language will be around what I meant was how much longer will it be a leading development tool.

As far as the sun cert tests, I was planning on taking the Associate test first and the take the progrmmer's
  7. Feelin' Groovy
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

how much longer will it be a leading development tool.
    My crystal ball is in the shop, but you might get some information you're looking for from here: TIOBE Programming Community Index for April 2006

Good luck!

~
    Yawmark
    class Sig{public static void main(String...args){\u0066or(int
    \u0020$:"v\"ʲ\"vΤ\"".to\u0043h\u0061rArray()
    )System./*goto/*$/%\u0126//^\u002A\u002Fout.print((char)(($>>
    +(~'"'&'#'))+('<'>>('\\'/'.')/\u002Array.const(~1)\*\u002F)));}}
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks a lot yawmark. This gives me more of a definite measure of the languages stack up next to each other. later

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo