1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Basic steps to get a servlet online

I have tried all day to understand this. I only want to understand how to get a simple servlet with the default Tomcat config working through Apache. I have everything installed, and the sample servlets in the webapps directory work fine. Here are my specs:

apache version: 1.3.23
    tomcat version: 3.3

I have both tomcat and apache installed in /usr/local. I have my simple .class file in /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/. The tutorial at [url]http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/Programming/BasicJava1/servlet.html leaves alot to be desired. Maybe I am just sick of looking for the answer, but I would appreciate some tips.

With the location of my simple servlet, where would I put an html form to reference this servlet, and what path should I specify in the "ACTION= " section of the form? Once I understand how this mess works, I can start learning how to write servlets. Thanks for any help.

Bob
  3. No Profile Picture

The problem, is you didn't quite get the right folder. For a servlet that will be accessed like http://192.168.0.1:8080/servlet/myservlet
    the file myservlet.class will need to be in
    /tomcat-root/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes
    of course replace tomcat-root with the location of your tomcat directory. I had the same problem when I first started, here is a link to the page I used to figure out where things go.

http://www.tek271.com/articles/deplo...on_tomcat.html

Oh, and be sure to shutdown the server and restart it if you just copy the file into the directory.
  5. No Profile Picture

That helped

Thanks for the link. It explained enough for me to get the standalone server working. Now I just need to figure out how to make it accessible from anywhere. I am looking at the tomcat.conf to see if I can do this.

It seems like I would want to define a directory under which all my servlets can placed. I'll get it figured out, but its been confusing. Thanks again.

Bob
  7. No Profile Picture

Are you using mod_jk? I found a couple web pages that go over implementing Tomcat with the requests being routed through Apache. Now I just need to implement it once I finish up with my servlet project.

Map URLs to Servlets for Friendly Surfing
    and then the mod_jk if you aren't familiar with it
    mod_jk
    I hope these help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo