1. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Which j2ee/j2se for EJB?

hi all,

I currently studying 2 books both by the 'head first' series, jsp+servlets and EJB. i'm two thirds through the servlets+jsp book and if anyone needs to learn this subject this is the book, it's amazing!!

I've just started reading the book on EJB and i'm not sure which version of j2ee to get. the book says 1.3 not 1.4 but i can't find a link to it at sun?? Secondly the j2se i've got is 1.5. The book states that there could be problems with this later version?? Does this mean i'll have to downoad 1.3 or 1.4 or is there a patch now for the server as the book was written a couple of years ago?

Has anyone got any user friendly links/advice on how to get set up easily as installation is defo not a strong point

thanks in advance mat
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

J2EE is a set of libraries and specifications that are run using J2SE. Part of the specification is a container of some sort that holds things like servlets and EJB's.

What did you use to do your Servlet/JSP learning? Many people use Tomcat for that. Tomcat implements part of the J2EE specification - Servlets, JSP's, and JNDI.

EJB's are another part of the specification (along with many other things). You will need a container that can handle all that Tomcat can along with the EJB spec. There are a few different ways to handle that. One is to add EJB capabilities to Tomcat with OpenEJB. As an alternative you can use a full J2EE server. Java-Source.net maintains a pretty good list of ejb servers. Sun is also developing an open source solution named GlassFish.

Part of where you're getting yourself confused is fully understandable. J2SE has, most recently versions 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 (sometimes known as J2SE 5), and 1.6 (again J2SE 6). The J2EE specification has revision numbers too that somewhat parallel J2SE. It is currently in revision 5 but version 4 and 3 are still very commonly used. However, note that each J2EE revision and container will specify which minimum version of J2SE is required.

Comments on this post

• wsa1971 agrees
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by stdunbar
    J2EE is a set of libraries and specifications that are run using J2SE. Part of the specification is a container of some sort that holds things like servlets and EJB's.

What did you use to do your Servlet/JSP learning? Many people use Tomcat for that. Tomcat implements part of the J2EE specification - Servlets, JSP's, and JNDI.

EJB's are another part of the specification (along with many other things). You will need a container that can handle all that Tomcat can along with the EJB spec. There are a few different ways to handle that. One is to add EJB capabilities to Tomcat with OpenEJB. As an alternative you can use a full J2EE server. Java-Source.net maintains a pretty good list of ejb servers. Sun is also developing an open source solution named GlassFish.

Part of where you're getting yourself confused is fully understandable. J2SE has, most recently versions 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 (sometimes known as J2SE 5), and 1.6 (again J2SE 6). The J2EE specification has revision numbers too that somewhat parallel J2SE. It is currently in revision 5 but version 4 and 3 are still very commonly used. However, note that each J2EE revision and container will specify which minimum version of J2SE is required.
    What did you use to do your Servlet/JSP learning?
    yep i used tomcat as my web container. For the ejb container i think that the book is using sun app server but i'm not sure which one?? it mentions a deployment tool which is not included in sun app server 9, so do i download the j2ee that includes sun app server 7 or 8?
    Like i mentioned before i've got j2se 1.5 installed at the moment but the book is saying that it won't work correctly and that i need 1.3. should i download 1.3 and when i set up the server point it to that version. lastly will this interfer with my current 1.5 version?
    I'd like to stick to the way the book says as i'm still learning and so want to use the app server in their examples

thanks again mat
  7. Contributing User

hi,

i did a search on yahoo for j2ee 1.3 and i've downloaded sun one app server 7. Can anyone help me configurate it? I just need help on setting the environment variables. i've decided to keep using my jdk1.5 and hope for the best. I think i need to declare a J2EE_HOME var which points to my j2sdkee installation. I've already got my JAVA_HOME var but to be honest i don't think i've done that correctly because all through the last book i've been reading when i've come to compile my classes, i've had to keep setting the classpath in command prompt(each time i use a new comm prompt). I think one of my probs is i'm not sure where things should go in relation to system and user variables?

anyone help?
  9. Contributing User

i've looked at some release notes and i understand that i must put 'C:\Sun\AppServer7\bin' in my path variable. i've done that but i still can't compile my exercises I don't think the javac can see any to do with j2ee?? i get about 8 errors saying 'package ejb doesn't exist'.

i know it must be a classpath problem

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo