1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wondering about NetBeans IDE and BlueJ

When I learnt Java, we used the software BlueJ, bluej.org, it's a 1.2MB download. I've been looking for some alternatives to that, and found NetBeans, I've fiddled with it a bit, and found it to be pretty nice.

However one thing that bothers me is that in BlueJ, you can right click on a class file to create an object, and in that object you can right click, select a method, type in the arguements and it'll run that method. No need to write the code manually in main().

I can't seem to find something like that in NetBeans? Is that feature in BlueJ a common feature amongs Java IDE? 'cos it was really useful, and don't see why I can't find it in NetBeans. That's one of the big reason that's stopping me from switching.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I know there's an optional object browser plugin that you can download from the update center. I don't know if it has the functionality you need, though. I'd recommend browsing through the update center, though, since it has some really useful stuff.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

That plugin allows you to view the objects in a different view, but that's about it...

It just seems strange that a 1.2MB software is able to run methods w/o constantly writing and editing code in main(), and haven't seen this feature in other IDE.

Kinda annoying when you're constantly rewriting one or two lines of code just to test some little things.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Go read their website where it talks about why they wrote blue4j. It sounds like the feature you're looking for is probably going to be unique, because it was created specifically so students wouldn't have to learn about main() until later.
    Of course, since it sounds like such a useful feature, why don't you write module to add it to NetBeans?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo