1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best Setup for ASP, PHP & JSP Development

What is the best setup in terms of folder location for web pages, scripts, web server apps & components, etc. when developing for ASP, PHP & JSP simultaneously???

I currently develop with PHP & ASP and I install and run everything (including mySQL) under the default IIS folder, Inetpub. But since I will be developing with JSP now, I'm assuming running all three technologies under that directory will not be the best way to have them coincide and run collectively, especially since JSP requires Apache web server.

I just want to be able to run all 3 technologies under one folder and possibly one server so that everything is nicely organized and less of a headache to develop for.

Any ideas???
  3. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Just use inetpub. Tomcat can run as a service on windows and integrates nicely with IIS. You don't need Apache at all.
  5. No Profile Picture

I have used PHP, JSP and ASP (Instant ASP, but you can use others, Apache::ASP, ChilliSoft(Win2000/NT), asp_module(OpenSA) and more) with Apache and Tomcat on Windows 98SE. I guess if you are used to IIS, you should stick with it. I don't know how your setup would compare to mine, performance wise.
  7. Golden Member =p

there are many tutorials on how to do this...

if this box is for development the ports i suppose will not really be an issue... using isapi redirector on iis will enable you to query tomcat on the same port... [ 80 ]

the server.xml and web.xml files will enable you to specify the directory paths for tomcat.

"especially since JSP requires Apache web server" > this is untrue.
    apache is a http server that serves static html files... with the use of plugins apache can serve other formats. jsp files require a java engine server like websphere, tomcat etc or plugins.

running apache and iis together is a waste of system resources as they both do relatively the same task.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo