Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

JSP newbie: My first JavaBean

Hey guys. This is my first time with JSP, and I'm trying to create a JavaBean. I seem to be getting an error when I try to set up the following:

I have a folder called "test" which is the root of my app. Under this directory, I have a folder called "WEB-INF", then a folder called "classes" then the folder called "mathy". Under "mathy" I have a the java file called average.java along with the compiled class file.

The code for average.java is as follows:

package mathy;
    import java.io.Serializable;

public class average implements Serializable {

private double total = 0;
    public average(double n1, double n2, double n3) {
    total = n1 + n2 + n3;
    total = total / 3;
    }
    public double getAverage() {
    return total;
    }
    }

then under the original "test" folder, I have a jsp page called "exp-1.jsp" with the following code:

<% mathy.average av1 = new mathy.average(34.4, 56.1, 694.3); %>

Now, I'm not trying to execute any methods, just trying to see if a bean can be made. But now luck. Can anyone help? Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I get the following error by the way with Tomcat Version 4.0-b5:

A Servlet Exception Has Occurred
    org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSPC:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0-b5\work\localhost\test\exp_0002d4_jsp.java:55: Class mathy.average not found.
    mathy.average av1 = new mathy.average(34.4, 56.1, 694.3);
    ^
    C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0-b5\work\localhost\test\exp_0002d4_jsp.java:55: Class mathy.average not found.
    mathy.average av1 = new mathy.average(34.4, 56.1, 694.3);
    ^
    2 errors
  3. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Stick this at the top of your jsp file. Should be the second line or so, after your language declaration.
    Code:
    <%@ page import="mathy.average" %>
  5. Contributing User

Thanks for the reply! However, now I just get one error instead of two. Someone mentioned that I had to include

import java.beans.*;

in my original java bean. Is this correct? I response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

The error:

A Servlet Exception Has Occurred
    org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSPC:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0-b5\work\localhost\test\exp_0002d6_jsp.java:3: Class mathy.average not found in import.
    import mathy.average;
    ^
    1 error
  7. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)

You're not using any of those classes, so no.

Is the first line in average.java "package mathy;" (without the quotes)?
  9. Contributing User

Yeap, no quotes. Should there be quotes?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)

Try just average, instead of mathy.average, as in
    Code:
    average av1 = new average();
  13. Contributing User

Ugh... still nothing. This is frustrating. I don't know what I could be doing wrong. Do I have to maybe edit the paths in the XML files? What could it be?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)

Ya, your web-inf/classes folder isn't in the classpath for some reason. As to why...?
  17. Contributing User

How do I fix this? Where in the XML file do I change this? Thanks for your help so far, and patience.
  19. Contributing User

Thanks for the help! Problem solved... I had to move the mathy folder and the class within to the WEB-INF... and NOT classes folder. Another option was to include

package classes.mathy;

instead of

package mathy;

but now it works. Why is this? I thought Tomcat automatically looked for classes in the WEB-INF\classes folder... or so I thought by this book I'm reading.

Also, everytime I edit a JSP file, and I try to refresh, I don't get an updated version... just the original page that I viewed first. Anyone got a solution? Thanks again.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)

Well, MY installation of Tomcat looks in the classes folder
    In your server.xml set your webapp to reload="true" (or something like that. There's a an example with the flag set). When you change the bean, though, you'll have to restart Tomcat to see any changes.
  23. Contributing User

Hmm... that's odd. I see a reloadable attribute with I defined my test path. This test path is where I have my JSPs and my WEB-INF folder.

<Context path="/test" docBase="test" reloadable="true" debug="0"/>

I already have it as true. I tried deleting the work directory under the %tomcatHome% directory, and that seems to work until I view the page, and tomcat creates this work directory again. So when I try to refresh the page, because the work folder is still there, the page does not get refreshed. Weird... any solutions? Thanks.
  25. Contributing User

Someone one mentioned that I had to delete the work directory under the %tomcatHome% directory and restart tomcat. I still have no luck with the refresh however. No matter how many times I try to delete the work directory, restart tomcat - nothing. I have to delete the work direectory manually everytime I want to refresh the JSP for an update that I did. Any solutions? Thanks.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)

You've got a seriously messed up Tomcat install Are you in a situation where you can grab the latest Tomcat version and reinstall? I'm not sure, but that might end up clearing up a lot of the issues you're having.
  29. Contributing User

I'm currently using Version 4.0-b5... and I'm seriously considering updating. The reason why I was sticking with it is because I'm using a Wrox Books for learning JSP... but the more I read, the more fed up I get - nothing works.

Do you or anyone else know a good place to get installations/setup instructions for the Tomcat 4.1.x? I would really appreciate it, as I think I'm going to bonkers trying to work with 4.0-b5. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo