1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Choosing a Container or App-Server

I'm in the process of learning server-side Java, and am wondering what container/engine or app server to use.

I ultimately want to make this my profession, and will soon want to build a personal site with this technology. (after reading & learning a bit more...Java's Server-Side platform is quite extensive..there's A LOT to know)

Points to consider:
    • Every book I pick up uses Tomcat, and appears to be common place with hosts who offer jsp
    • Resin is suppose to be very good (fast),
    • I have JRun up and running, but do I want to learn it?
    • WebSphere is highly desired in the job market.
    • WebLogic is also nice, but may require me purchasing another book..(I'm not that into reading online..unless it's a pdf)
    • I will be applying the Model 2 design pattern...this should't affect the decision process, but should be noted.

What do you think??
  3. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I've used Tomcat and Websphere, and my preference from the two is Tomcat.

I have heard that resin is supposed to be the fastest.

The important thing when you're starting out is to use something that's easy and simple. I started with Orion, since I couldn't figure out Tomcat (Tomcat 4.1 is a WHOLE lot easier to use, though).

Once you're up to speed and feel comfortable with the environment, try out a few servers, get a feel for their strengths/weaknesses, find the ones you like. I think you'll find that they're all fairly similar from a developer's standpoint.
  5. No Profile Picture

Ok.. I'm a novice here..

WHat is the different between J2EE and Tomcat ? I'm using Tomcat now but heard that J2EE is similar...

And I had heard a lot of J-Serv and Mod_jk ... Are they the same ?

Thanks
  7. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

J2EE is a specification from Sun. It includes servlets, jsps, ejbs, and other "Enterprise" java stuff.

Tomcat is an application server. It lets you run J2EE applications.

JServ is a servlet engine. It runs servlets.

Mod_jk is a replacement for mod_jserv that allows Apache and Tomcat to talk to each other.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

to extend:

"Mod_jk is a replacement for mod_jserv that allows Apache and Tomcat to talk to each other."

if you'd like the familiarity of apache then you can use apache to handle your non-java content (html, gif, php etc) and use mod_jk to pass requests for jsp pages off to tomcat. however, tomcat can function on it's own as a webserver for non-java content, so setting up mod_jk at this stage may be unecessary work.

i believe that the apache project intends to make mod_jk act as a connector for more webservers than just apache, though i don't remember whether this has been implemented yet. if you use a connector, mod_jk should be chosen over mod_jserv (as it has a future, by the sound of things).

my advice, if you're just starting out on this stuff: install tomcat and rest there - you can always connect it into apache when you are more familiar with what's going on.
    Little more than a playground for the bugs that live beneath us...
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks

I guess I just leave it with Tomcat for the time being ..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo