1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

regexp newbi prob...

well i guess for u javascript pro's this is too simple...
    the thing is this: i have an input type text in my form.
    i need a way to verifay that the data in that text filed is just numbers.
    Using the isNaN, will work but i need to use regExp....
    now, i tried to do something like this:

if (document.myForm.Number.value.search(/[^0-9]) != -1)...

now in this way i get -1 if the value is just numbers. any other cobination of letters or numbers and letters will give a result different than -1.
    now, this is just fine exept for one case where the value is empty. in this case i get the result of -1
    so insted of having -1 only in case the value is numbers (and only numbers) i get the -1 result in two cases, one, when the value is numbers and second when the value is empty...
    in order to solve this i currently check the value to see if its empty, but that makes some of the conditions in my script waaay too long and complicated...
    there should be a way to create a regexp that will give one result when the value is only number and a different result in any other case (including a case where the value is empty).
    any one??

thnx in advanced.
    Shanor.
    You cant see yourself in the mirror with your eyes closed.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Clueless llama
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Well, first of all you are posting in the wrong forum, but I will answer your question anyway. Instead of using
    Code:
    if (document.myForm.Number.value.search(/[^0-9]) != -1)...
    try using
    Code:
    if (document.myForm.Number.value.search(/^[0-9]+$/) != -1))
    That regex should tell you if any characters in the string are anything other than 0 thru 9, including an empty string I would think. If anything in the string is other than 0-9 it will return -1. I did not test this, but it *should* work.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo