Thread: Java Messengers

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Java Messengers

I had asked someone about setting up a java applet as the instant messenger client on my website. Be basically said use a table for the users and another for the message, but I am not sure where to procede from there. This was my reply.

Originally posted by Sonic98
    You know I think I know how that would work. I'd had to change all the templates for my site. I'd have to add an extra link to posts, member list, online list, and profiles. It would have to be a link called "IM this user" or something like that. When you do that it would open an applet named after the user who clicked the link. I would put thier name and the user they are trying to send to in the table for users. Then to have a buddy list, I'd just have another table on the applet, in that table I'd put thier contact list. I mean the forum on the website already has a contact list, so it shouldn't be too hard to move that data over to the IM window. But for this site, it might be better to have seperate applets for thier contact list and for thier IMs. I'd have one applet that just shows thier contact list, and I just place a link on all pages on the site "open my contact list." But for the IM, it would have to open a different applet for every person they want to IM. I have noticed that a lot of sites use pagers where there window closes everytime you send a mesage(and I think they are actually html not java) rather than IMs, but they are very slow compared to instant messengers. I don't know why anyone would use them.

But it can not be that simple. There has to be something else to it. How would the message get from one person to another? I mean would I have to just have it send what you type to the mesage table? Where do IM servers come into play?

You know what I just thought about something. I should be able to figure this out simply from the way my chat room is setup. I could have the message table setup the same way as the part of the chat that shows the chat messages. I won't need the user list because I'll have a table for the two users. I guess it will be setup like private chatting. I don't know if you've ever used digichat, but when you private chat with someone it opens an applet instead of a complete other chat room. I guess I'll set it up like private chat without the main chat.
  3. dont click here

I would NEVER recoomend the use of Applets, there are alot of security, and techinical issues with em. First of with MSIE JDK 1.1 is shiped not the latest, so should u create something and use the 1.2 API or higher those methods will not work. unless users have upgraded

instead of an apple i would say use any sort of Server Language, it will allow you to manipulate data is a much more efficent manor.
    Im not saying ur idea cant be done, it would just be easier and quicker to use some sort of server language with a refresh.
    Last edited by Shocka; December 9th, 2002 at 07:31 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Which one would you suggest. I already got the instant messenging setup. I have a server and a just setup jabber serving on it. What launguage would you suggest for the client?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Go with the "private chat" idea. You're not going to get the functionality you're after with anything other than a java applet.

At least applets *try* to be secure. And with what you're doing you should be safe, since you don't need to touch anything on the user's drive.
    -james

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo