1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Learning Java..?

Like many others, I'm a web desinger who's discovered the need to learn some server-side skills. I've been programming in php for a bit and have started wondering about java.

I'd be interested to hear your comments about the advantages (if any) of java compared to php, how easy it is to transfer php skills to a new programming language like java, and also if you think that java skills significantly increase job opportunities / rates of pay relative to php.
  3. No Profile Picture

Well, typically smaller organizations and individually run businesses use PHP, and larger companies use java. This is only typical, and you will find many small jsp shops as well as large companies using PHP. But basically, java could help you get into larger companies if that is what you are to do.

I prefer java, but there are a couple of drawbacks, mainly it uses more resources and java hosts typically are more expensive. But I think you will find it better suited to larger, complicated projects.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

be aware that it takes much longer to learn java than it took u to get started with php. so be patient as i still try to be;-)

u'll need to read about beans, servlet, jsp, application server...
    but everything's documented in the web very fine as in php. but a big bore many times.

good luck,
    jens
    http://www.digikix.de
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your replies.

You get the impression that some people think of php as a poor cousin of java for building dynamic websites.

Php is very capable though - and easy to learn. Maybe easier to work with too since you don't have to compile code to test & debug.

I guess the bottom line is speed: few scripts I've written take longer than 0.4s (local test server) or so to execute - most much less. A search script for example (searches are often quite slow) commonly does the business in only 0.2s (and that was a moderately complex script using classes, inheritance, result ranking, whole phrase search options etc).

So, from my experience so far, any improvements on speed using another language aren't going to affect page loads noticably - maybe I just haven't been doing anything complex enough.

BUT.. if a client wants java, that's what it's gotta be
    Last edited by McGruff; June 16th, 2003 at 01:12 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo