1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question SSL - Database Issue

I recently switched web hosts and my Secure Socket Layer is on a different server from the database and most of my files. Also, my web host keeps the web sites and SSL for a web site separated.

Is there any way I can access the database from the SSL?

When attempting to do so in ASP, I got the following message:

Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.

Is connecting to a database from an SSL on a different server also a problem using JSP, Java?

Robin
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not sure what you are asking.

What do you mean by your SSL is on a differant server?
    Do you mean your SSL enabled applicaton server is on a differant physical box than your database server?

Please elaborate[sp?].
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sm00ve,

I'm not technical when it comes to hardware. All I know is that my application is on one server and the Secure Socket Layer for my application is on another server.

Also, is it possible to FTP a file (using code) to my SSL?
    If so, how would I do this?

Thanks,

Robin
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, I apologize if I seem difficult, I am trying to understand the question better so I can help.

Does your application use SSL in the code that you wrote? What I mean is does your application use Java's SSL api's?

or

Did your old was SSL enabled on the old Application Server software?

I am asking because these are the only 2 ways I know how to use SSL.

SSL is only a secure protocal that encrypts the data being sent over the internet. So when you say things like "from the SSL" and " to my SSL" I get confused.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

With my previous web host, everything in my application (SSL or not) was on one physical server. I was therefore able to access the xml files I created even though the program was located under the SSL.

Now if I have a program in the SSL location, I can not access any databases or files outside of the SSL because of the fact that they are on separate servers.

The SSL, which has an address that begins with https, is on a separate server from the rest of my application which is under the usual http protocol.

Any programs that need to be under the SSL are FTP'd to a different address than programs not under the SSL.

Robin
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

To the best of my knowlege, to access files through SSL then SSL has to be enabled on the appserver that houses the files. Consider the following example...

to access an index page (non secure, SSL disabled):
    http://www.somehost.com/myapp/index.html

to access an index page (secure, SSL enabled):
    https://www.somehost.com/myapp/index.html

I only know SSL as a feature for accessing web pages or web based application components from a web browser. The database access occurs "on the otherside" of the appserver, using JDBC or ODBC and consiquently is not involved with SSL at all.

A request from a client (web browser) goes to the appserver and either access a page that is returned to the browser OR access a web componet (ASP, JSP, Servlet) the component would then access the database.
    Browser -SSL-> AppServer -JDBC or ODBC-> Database

That being said they might expect you to change the links of your app that pertain to the Secure pages so that they come from the secure server. And all non-secure pages are served by the non-secure server.

I think you might want to talk to you service provider to find out what they recomend u do.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo