1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

setting up jsp environment on windows 98

Hello Guys:

I posted a message earlier about setting up a jsp environment on windows 98. You replied by saying that the problem is with saving with notepad, but as I told you earlier this is not the problem. I have tried word pad and other text editors before I even posted my first message. There is no problem with notepad. My notepad is able to recognize .html, .asp, and .php file extensions. So why not .jsp? If you save your file as a text file then yes it will append .txt to the file. That is why I am not doing that. I am saving it as All Files, then it should be able to recognize the .jsp file extension. As noted notepad is recognizing the file extensions above. So why not .jsp? Also, lombardp I have gotten both of the servers that you suggested to run, but the .jsp file extension is still not recognized. May be I am missing a critical step somewhere, but it has nothing to do with notepad. Believe it or not I am not that dumb. This is just a very difficult issue, and you guys are treating it as very elementary. Regardless, I am very grateful to hear your suggestions, and I thank you very much for taking the time to respond. You guys are great.

Valen
  3. PHP & Java Error Master
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

http://forums.devshed.com/t69896/s.html

Did you even read my reply?
  5. No Profile Picture

All I can tell you is, that I never had problems running Apache / Tomcat together on Win98.

If you only install Tomcat (without Apache) do you get the examples to work on port 8080? This must run after installation without anything required to configure by yourself!

HtH
    Peter
    Last edited by Peter65; July 18th, 2003 at 02:36 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hello peter65

Hi Peter,

Yes I get the examples to work. They open up fine in IE 6, but as for my own files the .jsp extension does not get recognized, and everything is configured as instructed. I already have php and asp working perfectly, I am thinking of giving up on jsp. Keep emailing me if you have anything else. It won't hurt to give it another shot.

Thanks again,

Valen
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi Valensnow,

so if the examples work then please try the following:

1. please check the extension in Explorer
    to be sure(!!) that it is hello.jsp (not hello.jsp.txt) - or check in a Dos-Box if you are not sure to see extensions in Explorer.

2. Put this file in the same directory as
    the working examples.

If this work (and for sure it does) then your prob was that you didn't configure the servlet context correct in server.xml

The examples are configured like:

<Context path="/examples"
    docBase="webapps/examples"
    crossContext="false"
    debug="0"
    reloadable="true" >
    </Context>

Then we can go one step further - how to create your own context (for put your files in directorys at C:\tomcat\webapps\your dir\......

Hth,
    Peter
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Guys JSP on Windows 98

Hi Guys:

Thanks to all those that responded, but I still cannot get my .jsp files to be recognized. This process has taken me far too long. Every time I get the server to run, but when I save my file with a .jsp file extension it just fails to get recognized. To Peter: I know that you are confident that your way works, but I have tried saving to that directory in which you suggested, and the .jsp file extension was still not recognized. What I really need is for someone to come out and say yes I got java server pages to run on windows 98 first edition and here is exactly how I did it (and walk me thru the entire process). Instead of pointing me to tutorials that I have tried about fifty times, and saying that my notepad is no good, and that you have to save it to this directory. Whatever it is it is not that obvious. I need someone to go thru the entire process with me and be exact saying download version x.x.x and do this and continue walking me thru the process with detailed blah blah blah. Be very exact and thorough because unfortunately this is what it has come down to. I just can't get the thing to work. When I save my text files as .java files, .php files, .asp files, and .xml files everything works fine, but the .jsp extension just doesn't work. If you cannot give me a thorough answer then don't answer at all. I am very grateful to hear your suggestions, but they are very brief and they don't get the job done. I am thinking that may there is an update for windows 98 that I must download, or something that will allow the .jsp file extension to be recognized, but probably there isn't. I probably will get it to work someday, but it probably won't be any time soon. I fear that it will be something obvious, but it isn't anything I've heard yet.

Thank You,

Valen

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo