1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Deciphering Java errors

Hello,

I am using MySQL Server 5.0 with Apache Tomcat 5.5 and Eclipse SDK 3.2 to run my program. My program uses Java coding language. However, while running the program I received this error,

Code:
    java.lang.NullPointerException 
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.registerStatement(Connection.java:4789) 
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Statement.<init>(Statement.java:264) 
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.createStatement(Connection.java:2964) 
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.createStatement(Connection.java:2944) 
    at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DelegatingConnection.createStatement(DelegatingConnection.java:161) 
    at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolingDataSource$PoolGuardConnectionWrapper.createStatement(PoolingDataSource.java:204) 
    at bgoc.com.dbConn.Conn.execSQL(Conn.java:196) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.MaintainMenu.checkProgQty(MaintainMenu.java:301) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.MaintainMenu.getUserAppl(MaintainMenu.java:271) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.MenuGroup.createUserMenu(MenuGroup.java:248) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.MenuGroup.getUserMenu(MenuGroup.java:225) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.MenuGroup.getUserProgramAppl(MenuGroup.java:68) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.UserInfo.chkPageAndTyp(UserInfo.java:94) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.UserInfo.chkPage(UserInfo.java:59) 
    at org.apache.jsp.authorization.materialRequest.qo_005fnewreq_jsp._jspService(qo_005fnewreq_jsp.java:111) 
    at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97) 
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802) 
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:332) 
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314) 
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264) 
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802) 
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252) 
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) 
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213) 
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178) 
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126) 
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105) 
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107) 
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148) 
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869) 
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664) 
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527) 
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80) 
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684) 
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I have no idea what is causing it. But I would like to know what are these errors trying to tell me. Does anyone have any idea of what are the possible causes of this error like lack of memory, connections or some xml settings? Thanks in advance.
  3. Headless Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

That's a stack trace. There's only one error in the whole thing and it's on the first line:
    Code:
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    Something tried to use an object that was declared but never initialized. The problem is either this, or something that's causing this to happen.

Assuming that the Tomcat, MySQL, and other big-name libraries are correct, the problem is probably coming from the one location I don't recognize: somewhere in
    Code:
    at bgoc.com.dbConn.Conn.execSQL(Conn.java:196) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.MaintainMenu.checkProgQty(MaintainMenu.java:301) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.MaintainMenu.getUserAppl(MaintainMenu.java:271) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.MenuGroup.createUserMenu(MenuGroup.java:248) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.MenuGroup.getUserMenu(MenuGroup.java:225) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.MenuGroup.getUserProgramAppl(MenuGroup.java:68) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.UserInfo.chkPageAndTyp(UserInfo.java:94) 
    at bgoc.webaccs.UserInfo.chkPage(UserInfo.java:59)

Comments on this post

• Yawmark agrees
    Last edited by requinix; October 17th, 2010 at 11:37 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo