1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Reading From a Barcode Scanner into A Java Application

Dear Sirs et Madames,
    I am trying to create an application which reads IDs of blood samples via a barcode reader. How do I read a barcode from a barcode reader into a Java Application for further processing (e.g pulling patient details from database)? Example code and explanations much appreciated.

P.S same applies to fingerprint reader, also need to be able to pull data from database based on usb fingerprint reader. how do I get fingerprint reader data into the java application for further processing?

Thanks in advance,
    Tumaini
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

How does the data from the scanner get into the PC? Are there native code drivers?
    Do you have API doc for the scanner?
  5. No Profile Picture

I really am not clued up on the technicalities which is why I asked the question... What would I need to do to get a barcode scanner talking to a Java application?
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

To understand what the device does you'd need documentation on how it works including how it connects to a PC and what drivers are needed to make it available for other programs to get its data.
  9. No Profile Picture

Barcode Scanner

Is it java the best application for the Barcode application??
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by blakkphoenixx
    Dear Sirs et Madames,
    I am trying to create an application which reads IDs of blood samples via a barcode reader. How do I read a barcode from a barcode reader into a Java Application for further processing (e.g pulling patient details from database)? Example code and explanations much appreciated.

P.S same applies to fingerprint reader, also need to be able to pull data from database based on usb fingerprint reader. how do I get fingerprint reader data into the java application for further processing?

Thanks in advance,
    Tumaini
    I looked around a bit and found several things that confirm what NormR is saying. You need to look at the documentation of your device. It will tell you how the data is decoded when it is sent to the computer. Once you know that, you will be able to write code based on what the input.

One helpful post I found deals with treating scanner input as keystrokes. I don't know if this is true for the scanners you want to program for, but that does appear to be the standard. Take a look at this URL.
    Code:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6734393/getting-input-from-barcode-scanner-internally-without-textbox
    If your scanner is using a COMM interface, take a look at this API.
    Code:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/index-jsp-141752.html
    Hope that helps.

Cheers, Cam.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo