1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Change web.xml after deployment

Is it advisable to change web.xml (or, in fact, any other file) in app server after the deployment? Do ALL app servers expose their deployment/directory structure?

I would prefer making changes locally, re-building the war (or .ear, etc.), and re-deploying the application.

Any suggestions / comments. Thanks.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Most servlet containers automatically reload the app with a change to web.xml. Static resources like .css, .html, etc. would be available after a browser refresh with no action from the servlet container (usually - some do some internal caching). Some servlet containers will watch the "classes" directory for changes too.

The advantage of that is that, for development, you don't have to do a full app reload. I would not want this to happen for production. If I made a typo or if my webapp didn't reload correctly I could easily take down the production system. However, if just anyone can change your web.xml in production you have more serious issues.

The file system can be exposed - this is an "exploded" war file format. Otherwise it can be in a .war file as you indicated. Traditionally an exploded war file is used in development while a normal war file is used in production.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Agree

Agree

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo