Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Java errors preventing DVD Roms from running

Hello, everyone. I couldn't think of where else to turn.

I have DVD Roms full of images that used to run on my computer no problem. Now they don't work. No matter what browser I use to run the DVD I get "Application blocked by security settings" and "Blocked exception" error messages when I try to run the DVD. I know it's a Java problem. I uninstalled Java, but then the DVD program said it required Java to run. I've now reinstalled the current version of Java. There are no previous versions on my computers. Everything I could find online says to go to the java security settings and reduce them; but that does not help.

Suggestions? I'm completely stumped and about to cry that I can't use these DVDs. They were expensive. Please any help is appreciated!

Thanks.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

If the "Blocked" message is from java, there is a java icon in the Control panel (on Windows) that can be used to change the security level for java that should allow the java program to run.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi that doesn't do anything. I tried using an older version of Java on my machine, and that didn't help either. Could it be a Microsoft update rather than Java?

I'm still looking for plans of attack to fix this. Thanks!
  7. Contributing User

What program is giving that error message? What do you do to start that program executing?

What changes did you make with the Java icon in the Control Panel?
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi.

I insert the DVD. I open its contents to see the folders and files. I hit the "start" icon, opening it at different times with both Firefox and IE. I am given a message that says the program needs Java to display the content. Firefox tells me additional plugins are required to display all the media on the page. When I hit the "install missing plugins" button it doesn't do it and implies I need to do it manually which just means downloading Java, which I already have on the machine. There is also a general message saying Java is required but again I have Java. I'd insert an image here of my screenshot but I can't figure out how to do so.
  11. Contributing User

What happens on other PCs?
  13. No Profile Picture

I can sort of get it the DVD to work on an old Windows XP machine. But I'm not going to demote my main work computer running Windows 7 to XP! There must be a simple fix. I've now tried opening the DVD with other browsers, like Safari, and it says the page attempted to load Java content but Java content is unavailable. It directs me to go get Java. Clearly this is wrong because Java is on my system. So the program is not seeing Java somehow?
  15. Contributing User

Sounds like a java installation problem. I've never had the problem and haven't any ideas on how to make Windows properly install and recognize java.
  17. No Profile Picture

Ugh. I'm about to give up. So frustrating. Thanks for your help.

At this point this much is clear: the DVD opens via a browser, and all my browsers--though I've in every place where I could enabled java content--seem not to see and open the "HTML, Java Applet, and Javascript application" of/on the DVD.

Anyone else?
  19. Contributing User

seem not to see and open the "HTML,
    Can you open the DVD in Windows Explorer and see the files that are on it?
    If the DVD has html files, what happens when you double click on one of them?
    Does the browser open a java console? Are there any error messages in the java console?
    Can you open one of the html files in an editor and see its contents? Copy the contents and paste it here.
  21. No Profile Picture

with the HTML I was just quoting the DVD's "read me". Yes, I can see the contents of the DVD. But the program won't run. In effect, the DVD is a facsimile of a book. The program should open and I should be able to flip through the book's pages with a transcription of the book images also displaying.
  23. Contributing User

the program won't run
    What program are you trying to execute?
    Can you see the files on the DVD using Windows Explorer?
    If you can see .html files, can you open one in a browser?
    And also open that file in an editor and post it here.
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by NormR
    What program are you trying to execute? It is an application. It is a collection of images that operates through a browser.

Can you see the files on the DVD using Windows Explorer? Yes, if I double click I can see the folders and files contained on the DVD Rom.

If you can see .html files, can you open one in a browser? Yes, if I manually go in and look through the folders contained on the DVD Rom, I can open individual html files in (for example) the Firefox browser.

And also open that file in an editor and post it here.
    I do not know exactly what you mean here. I do not know how to copy images into these forum posts. The insert images thing doesn't let me browse to any images on my computer, and cutting and pasting doesn't work.

So, to answer your question generally, my browser seems to open an individual file on the DVD but not run the application, which if course is what I need.

I hope this helps you understand my situation. Thanks.
  27. Contributing User

Do you know how to open the windows explorer program?
    If you can open it, navigate to the DVD and see what files are on it.
    Right click on an html file and chose an editor to open it.

If that does not work, open an editor and navigate to the DVD, select an html file and open it so that you see its contents in the editor.

If none of this makes sense, do you have any friends that know how to use the Windows Explorer program and an editor that could help.

browser seems to open an individual file on the DVD but not run the application,
    Are there any error messages in the browser's java console?
    If so, copy and paste them here.
  29. No Profile Picture

I'm sorry but I believe I already answered your questions in my previous reply.

Again, I am able to see the contents of the DVD and to open individual folders and files manually, including html files.

The problem is the application will not run. When I try to run the application, there are Java errors, as indicated in my previous posts (see above).
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo