1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Content Keyword Tags

Hi,

I'm looking for some guidance as to how best to approach the task of allowing tags/themes on articles.

The purpose is to help people search for relevant things and maybe help a little with SEO (though random keywords may look a bit spammy?!)

The idea is that users can add themes they feel are appropriate to an article. I want to set a maximum number of tags per article and filter out repeats. I also want some sort of suggestion mechanism for trying to get some consistency (cut down on plurals and typos for example).

The website is in Perl and I have a good idea of how the backend will work, it's more the jquery/ajax that I'm still planning.

My website is on a shared host and currently has a lot of active users so I don't want to put in any unnecessary database hits (e.g. for suggestion tool). It's assumed that I will need to hit the database to save a tag so it may be better to do that on a click rather than on a space or something which may be trigger often accidently.

Are there any existing plug ins that might do the job nicely on the frontend?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

RIght, where to begin...javascript is exceptionally poorly suited for SEO.

It is a really tough question to answer about plugins though as it doesn't give any sort of information whatsoever. It's a little bit like telling a chef "I have a kind of food, what would you suggest I add to it in order for me to win first prize?" Are you using a CMS? is it coded from scratch? Catalyst? Dancer?

I think your question would be better answered in the Perl forum rather than here, provided that you give some more information.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo