1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Controlling `<li>` breaks in a multi-column layout

I am having trouble with managing how text-based content breaks in a multi-column, multi-page layout.

I am using the textify.js jQuery plugin available on CodeCanyon.

The problem I am having relates to lists. Sometimes, list items break incorrectly.

For example, a list may contain the following code:

Code:
    <ul>
    	<li>Vous raccommoder avec votre conjoint après avoir exprimé clairement vos attentes de changement, en surmontant vos différends.</li>
    	<li>Consulter un tiers autorisé (psychologue, conseiller familial, prêtre) à titre individuel pour faire le point sur votre situation personnelle.</li>
    	<li>Consulter un conseiller/médiateur familial avec votre conjoint.</li>
    	<li>Vous séparer de fait (sans requérir l'intervention d'un juge, et avec ou sans une convention écrite avec votre conjoint).</li>
    	<li>Requérir du juge des mesures protectrices de l'union conjugale  (en demandant ou non  l'attribution du logement familial, c'est-à-dire en menant ou non une vie séparée).</li>
    	<li>À noter que requérir des mesures protectrices de l'union conjugale pour organiser la vie séparée peut-être un moyen de préparer un divorce unilatéral si le conjoint refuse de divorcer.</li>
    	<li>Si les conditions en sont réalisées, introduire une action en séparation de corps (cas échéant d'accord avec votre conjoint).</li>
    </ul>
    The columns are set to a height of 330px.

In this layout, some of the list items break mid-item and are continued on the next column. That isn't a real problem, if the result was not a new list item being started when that happens.

Effectively, it breaks and creates a new `<li>` as such:

Code:
    <ul>
    	<li>Vous raccommoder avec votre conjoint après avoir exprimé clairement vos attentes de changement, en surmontant vos différends.</li>
    	<li>Consulter un tiers autorisé (psychologue, conseiller familial, prêtre) à titre individuel pour faire le point sur votre situation personnelle.</li>
    	<li>Consulter un conseiller/médiateur familial avec votre conjoint.</li>
    	<li>Vous séparer de fait (sans requérir l'intervention d'un</li>
    	<li>juge, et avec ou sans une convention écrite avec votre conjoint).</li>
    	<li>Requérir du juge des mesures protectrices de l'union conjugale  (en demandant ou non  l'attribution du logement familial, c'est-à-dire en menant ou non une vie séparée).</li>
    	<li>À noter que requérir des mesures protectrices de l'union conjugale pour organiser la vie séparée peut-être un moyen de préparer un divorce unilatéral si le conjoint refuse de divorcer.</li>
    	<li>Si les conditions en sont réalisées, introduire une action en séparation de corps (cas échéant d'accord avec votre conjoint).</li>
    </ul>
    If you notice, the 7 `<li>` elements are now 8 with a new `<li>` created mid-sentence after **l'intervention d'un** of list item 4.

What I'd like to do is control that. Either of the following options would be satisfactory to me:

1. The line breaks to the next column but does not create a new `<li>`
    2. The column height grows only enough to allow the `<li>` not to break onto a new column.
    3. The `<li>` does not break mid-sentence, but rather if it is too long to display in the column, it breaks before the `<li>`

You can see the layout issue and problems at the following URL:

http://alisamii.dyndns.org/ergonomiq/domains/clients/sosd2/

Any assistance would be most appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

This really doesn't have anything to do with CSS, it's textify that's deciding where the columns are breaking. You can look into textify's documentation.

Considering you've only got a bit of text on page 2, I'd suggest doing away with textify and simply making three columns that float. Then you can manually control the breaks.

Quick and dirty version:

Code:
    CSS
    .column {float: left; width: 33%}

HTML
    <div class="column">text here</div>
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by rdoyle720
    Considering you've only got a bit of text on page 2, I'd suggest doing away with textify and simply making three columns that float.
    I would, if this was the only article. There are over 280 documents, some of which will extend to more than 5 or 6 three-column screenfuls.

If you could assist me in solving these issues in testify, I would very much appreciate it.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Personally I'd question whether that's the best way to present your text.

As textify doesn't have documentation on the web, and since you're required to purchase it to use it, I don't know how much help I (or perhaps others) could be.

That being said, since you paid for it, you should be entitled to support. Contact the developer and ask why it breaks li tags the way it does.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As textify doesn't have documentation on the web, and since you're required to purchase it to use it, I don't know how much help I (or perhaps others) could be.

That being said, since you paid for it, you should be entitled to support. Contact the developer and ask why it breaks li tags the way it does.
    As you state, I should be entitled to support...unfortunately, it seems the developer does not feel the necessity of providing support in a timely fashion.

The design of the site demands the ability to display the content in multi-column multi-page format. There are hundreds of documents/articles, some of which are quite long and will span 5, 6 or more pages.

I would be happy to pay for either modifying the textify plugin or developing a new plugin. If you feel that you could provide that service, or can refer me to someone who could, I would appreciate it.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi. Do you have any suggestions as to whom I could reach out to get a reply? This is quite an urgent matter, and I am hampered without any progress.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo