1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Create transient status bar messages

First off thank you to all the people here at Dev Shed that have helped me learn more about Web Dev. I have been learning to create transient status bar messages. This is the code I have been working with. I have not been able to get it working yet. Any ideas?

here is the part of my web page.

<script type="text/javascript">

windowObject.defaultStatus="Go to the Home Page":

windowObject.status="text";
    return true";

</script>

<tr><td>

<a class="nav" href="home.htm"
    onmouseover="window.status='Learn more about Me' ;return true"
    onmouseover="window.status='';return true">Home Page</a> -
    </td>

</td></tr></table>
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey this is to the people that know about Javascript and want to help me learn to make a transient status bar message.

So I have been interested in a transient status bar message for my website. I think it will help my visitors navigate my website easier. So I have been looking into making one. I have not found a good online example yet. "If you know where I can study one Please tell me". I have been reading about how to do it and I watch videos on it but still I can not get it to work.

So my question is can you help me by example to make a transient status bar message.

If you have no idea how to make a transient status bar message but you have seen them online post a link so I can look at it.
  5. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Considering most browsers do not even have a visible status bar any more, trying to do this is a bit pointless.

I believe also that the ability to change the status bar text has been blocked by default usually to help prevent phising and scamming.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I want the it to change back to the site address after it said's a little memo like this is the home. I think it would help a lot I know what you mean it can be used for bad like anything. I do think for the most part it is a good extra feature.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

re-read what kicken wrote......now re-read it again.......now do it one more time.

Newer browsers have blocked this type of feature by default...nothing YOU can do to change that..only the user can on their browser.

what you are wanting to do, in this case, in my opinion, is a complete waste of time because the feature is BLOCKED on most, if not all browsers nowadays.

A quick google on the subject of "transient statusbar messages javascript" yielded these 2 interesting results. LINK 1 and LINK 2 along with several others.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo