1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy

Can I access a database and preform queries on it through Javascript? I need to know how to do this so I can make an administrative program for my schools Online Marks system, and I don't want it to be web-based (the administrators disowned that idea due to "security reasons"). I need to know how to access an ODBC database, if at all possible.
    To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -- Homer Simpson
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Basically No - javascript can not do this, server-side javascript can but thats a whole different ball game.
    resistance is no longer futile :: 423
  5. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

If you don't want it to be web-based, why on earth do you want to use Javascript? It can be done (using Windows Scripting in JScript (search http://msdn.microsoft.com ), but it sounds like a lot of work for no reason.

If you just need to build a front end on a Windows system to an ODBC-compliant database, your easiest bet would be to use Access. You can use Microsoft Access to be a database client to build your user interface, while the actual database could be on MSSQL. If your database does not need to support heavy multiple user access, you could even just stick with the Access database itself. Or am I missing something in your question?
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The thing is, they wanted a nice, sleek GUI for this, not the trashy Access boxes. ^_^ Ahwell, I guess they just have to live with it.
    To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -- Homer Simpson

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo