1. SwollenMember
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

from reading some previous posts, i noticed that javascript does not have any real file output. however i have heard that there is a way to make an applet do the file stream work. if anyone knows how to do this, could you let me know.
  3. No Profile Picture

erm this might be wrong

as far as i know if you are using javascript client side (or an applet in your browser) you cannot use direct file i/o on any of the users files as this would SERIOUSLY compromise security.

you need to get the user to run an exe of some form to do file i/o.

if you are running it server side then file i/o is not a problem as the scripting engine will take care of it. look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/ for the jscript reference.

bye dude
  5. No Profile Picture

There is, however some file i/o capbilities with client side VBscript. As far as Javascript, you can read .txt, .html, .js and a few other file types in IE4+ using this method:

1) Create a frame. Pretend its called "textFrame". The source should be the file you wish to read. NOTE: It CANNOT be an <iframe>.

2) You can read the contents of the page from a different frame like so:

var string = parent.textFrame.document.body.innerHTML;

alert(string);

*As far as I know, that is the extent of any kind of file handling with JavaScript.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo