1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to gear my search

I am trying to find a good tutorial on how to create select drop down menus that are based off the prior choice. So what I am asking is lets say that I have one drop down list with chevy, dodge, ford. I choose chevy, in the second select drop down list I would only see things like corvette not viper or mustang. I hope that this is question is clear. I have been looking on google and youtube and I just cant find what I am looking for where they break it down step by step and explain what everything is doing. I hope that there is something out there like this because I have no knowledge of javascript or jQuery and that is why I need to know what is what. Oh, the values of the select tags would be pulled out of the database.
  3. A Not To Shabby Code Smurf
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

What your looking for; is referred to as a "chained select menu". If your wanting to pull data from your database to create new options, in your chained select menu; you need to look into a "AJAX chained select menu". Do a search on these topics and you should find several tutorials/examples; on how to do this.

Comments on this post

• natturefrk agrees : Just wanted to say thanks
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the reply, but I am having to many problems because I just don't understand enough to be able to code to work for my system. This is do the lack of knowledge in that department. I got so worked up with the fact that javascript, jquery, ajax are client side languages and it can be turned off so there goes any validation or anything of that sort. Now I can see why it is useful to know client side languages, not just server side. I just went straight to learning php instead of learning javascript first. I am just going to stick with my original plan as that is what I have knowledge in. I know that my idea is a bit much and unnecessary, but it is what I know and it would take forever for me learn enough to understand to build this ajax chained select menu.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

blah
    Last edited by natturefrk; April 7th, 2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: tried to delete post but dont know how

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo