1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

can javascript do this?

I am working with someone who needs to run a website off line and be able to run through a web based catalogue and select amounts of products to be ordered via a dropdown (whether the product is in stock is not an issue). I then need this file to be output in HTML with the option to add/remove products and then this list be again output for print.

I dont really want to start communicating with access or any other databases as some of the people using this will not have office and I dont want to have to install apache or mysql on the machines either.

Is this beyond the scope of javascript? is there a better solution?

thanks

sp
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

this is a hard one for javascript, but it can be done.

your pages will probably exceed several megs then, but since you want to use them off-line, this should be no problem.

donīt know if this helps you, but i managed to make apache, mysql and php run off a cd-rom. this could be a much easier solution!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks

As you said it won't matter too much about size as the pages will only be used off line.

I would be interested to hear about running apache/mysql etc off a CD. Was it hard to set up?
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

There are programs like this:

http://www.tenmax.com/webdisc/ecatalogs.htm

that can put an interactive web site on a CD.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

To make apache run from a CD-ROM is not hard. just setup everything to use relative paths.

install everything (apache, mysql, php) to your harddisk first, make the setup and test it. then just copy the directorys to a cd-rom.

setup mySQL to use relative paths too.

make a batch file (start.bat) similar to this (i donīt have the original anymore ):

start \apache\httpd
    start \mysql\mysqld
    start
    iexplore 127.0.0.1
    \apache\httpd -quit (sorry, cannot remember the parameter to stop apache on win****)
    \mysql\mysqld -quit (sorry, donīt have this one either anymore)

make an autorun.inf to call your .bat file

you should get the point: the command "start" sends a process to background in windows and goes on with processing the batch file.

it worked fine on W9X and WNT4, at that time there was no W2K yet... if you donīt get along with this, tell me. i can search for my original CD-ROM then but i am too lazy right now....

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo