1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How may I treat *.csv files to fill some arrays with JavaScript and then put everything into some FileMaker Pro database???
    Help me... also if you know only one part of my problem!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Maybe you should elaborate a little on exactly what you want to do. Where is the .csv file coming from, the server or the client's hard disk? Where is the FileMaker Pro database?

I have used a combination of Javascript and server-side routines to accomplish similar things, but I need to know your specific needs.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well, OK. The *.csv file should be uploaded from the client's harddrive (or whatever on its PC), while the database resides on the server. I think that's it...

TIA
  7. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Is this in an intranet situation where you have control over the browser installed on the client computers?

If that is the case, and you can have IE5 installed on every computer, then there is a chance you can get this to work as a client-side app using databinding. It will be a complicated process, though.

If you do not have control over the client browser, then you will need some server-side programming. (prompting the user to upload the .csv file to the server, then processing) There is no way that client-side javascript can handle this. It would take something like Perl, PHP, or ASP pages to do it.

There is one other way I can think of, but it would require a small client-side macro in Excel. Basically, Excel would take the table, and perform a set of text operations to turn the columns _into_ javascript arrays, then save the file as a .js file, which could be referenced as an external SRC in the <script> tag. By the way, Excel can also make FTP connections, and perform internet operations, so there really might be no need to use Javascript at all.