Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question

I am having trouble with using the histoy command javascript:history.back() in frames. does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this?

my exact command is:

a href="javascript:go(-1)" target="main"
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wink javascript:history.back(1)

Hi Broberts,

I had a similar problem using frames in Netscape 6, so posted here and was given two alternatives to try. Both worked..here they are give them a try

Hope it helps.

<FORM><INPUT type=button value=" Back " onClick="history.back();"></FORM>

<FORM><INPUT type=button value=" Back " onClick="parent.history.back(); return false;"></FORM>

good luck Tony
  5. No Profile Picture

What you need is parent.history.back();

Comments on this post

• patrick.gill disagrees
    • vbrtrmn disagrees
  7. No Profile Picture
    I AM A GOLDEN GOD
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

ichsie> while I'm sure you mean well, please don't dredge up 7 year old posts and reply to them. It's possible the OP has already found an answer by now.

It seems as though you've done this with a few other posts as well. Please stop.
    "Seriously, we're not a search engine, we're actual people." ~ ManiacDan

BookMooch.com : Give books away. Get books you want.
  9. No Profile Picture

lol, well..

Had to register just to post this.

Just did a google tonight for "javascript back" and devshed was 3rd, so here we are. Was a useful addition ichsie, thank you. :-P

Comments on this post

• patrick.gill disagrees
    • vbrtrmn disagrees
  11. No Profile Picture

I also came here from a google search, it was the first result for me. i don't know why but I can never remember the exact syntax of this command, though I do use it fairly often.

So ichsie's response may have been a bit tardy, but it gave me an answer that I needed. So thank you ichsie!

Moderator's Note: Abusive content removed by Nilpo.

Comments on this post

• lnxgeek disagrees
    • patrick.gill disagrees
    • vbrtrmn disagrees : Wonder if someone is making multiple accounts.
    Last edited by Nilpo; January 17th, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thank you for the post

I have to say I DISAGREE with lnxgeek. The answer was pertinent, regardless of the age of the original post.

Thank you for the answer, it is also what I was looking for!

Comments on this post

• patrick.gill disagrees
    • vbrtrmn disagrees
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by lnxgeek
    ichsie> while I'm sure you mean well, please don't dredge up 7 year old posts and reply to them. It's possible the OP has already found an answer by now.

It seems as though you've done this with a few other posts as well. Please stop.
    I agree with the others, and also registered just to say this.

I forget the syntax of things sometimes and just google for them. Since this was one of the top hits, why do you want people not to find devshed in the rankings? It was useful to me, and others. It drives more traffic to the site.

The history.back() functionality hasn't been replaced with google.api.ninja.expandbackbutton.coolbeans() yet, so it's not obsolete. Who cares how old it was? It's not just about replying to the author of the post but about resolving issues. How annoying to find this buried thread and not find an answer on it! If threads still exist after 7 years, then should we not read them?

Why so negative?
  17. Standing 3 feet to the left.
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

The issue isn't that it's seven years old, it's that someone replied to it recently, and thus bumped it to the top of the forum. The top of the forum means it's an active or recently active conversation or problem-shooting thread, which this obviously wasn't. If this happens often, it causes the front page to be cluttered with extremely old questions, many with answers and many of no help to anyone. Being a google result is fine, people reading it is fine, cluttering up the forum is not.

Giving an answer seven years after the original question isn't that helpful to the original person; maybe it's useful to those who find the thread through Google, but in this case the question had already been answered (by tchick). It wasn't even a useful seven year bump.

Personally, I wish Devshed would lock threads after X months without a response, and maybe try to purge threads that never got a proper answer after they've been locked.

Comments on this post

• lnxgeek agrees
    • vbrtrmn agrees
    I'd rather teach you to fish than give you a fish. I reserve the right to also slap you with the fish.
  19. 4:04 Time Not Found
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Can a mod look at all these "new" users to see if they are coming from the same IP address? I have a sneaking suspicion they are all the same guy responding back about how great he is. I find it highly unlikely that so many new users appeared and disappeared just to agree with this guy.

Perhaps this thread could be locked.
    I am so smart, I am so smart, S.M.R.T ... I mean S.M.A.R.T.

Stop Using Pop-Ups
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by vbrtrmn
    Can a mod look at all these "new" users to see if they are coming from the same IP address? I have a sneaking suspicion they are all the same guy responding back about how great he is. I find it highly unlikely that so many new users appeared and disappeared just to agree with this guy.

Perhaps this thread could be locked.
    Feel free. I'm not any of the above people.
    I do think the point here is that if people don't want old threads appearing on the front page, then that is a problem/issue with the design of the site. If the facility is there to reply to a thread, ie it's not locked, it's public and they feel they have something to say, then chastising them for doing so is ridiculous.
    And suggesting that it's more likely that someone is playing a trick on you is also a bit telling.

Comments on this post

• vbrtrmn disagrees : Give me a break!
  23. No Profile Picture

Just a note

1. I use "javascript: history.go(-1)"

lnxgeek why are you looking at such old threads yourself If you have a problem with posting? Yes they may come up on the main thread pages but then you also post on it?

It is an old topic but there was no confirmed answer and it is high up on a google search so Fair enough I think!

And yes I am A new user not those above!! But Really I don't see the trouble posting an answer as it helps others? Those that live on threads that matter enough to complain well get a life!

I found the code before but I was checking it for a storyboard for my site.

And I am a new user cus I say this thread. If I see a new topic I will maybee add a post to it

By the way I used javascript: history.go(-1)
    It does the same job just for anyone who wants it!

Comments on this post

• lnxgeek disagrees : O.M.F.G why won't this thread just die?
  25. No Profile Picture

I also registered to answer this thread. It was the 5th link on the second page of Google results. If people are still searching for answers to this question then it IS a current problem. If it is such a crime to dig up the past, the devs would delete old posts. Period.
  27. No Profile Picture

movin' on up

In case anyone was wondering if this issue was still relevant, this thread is now 4th in a google for "javascript back" (without quotes).

Thanks, Dev Shed!
  29. No Profile Picture

I also had to register just to post this. "javascript back" in google was the 3rd result. I found the information useful, thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo