1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dear everyone,

I am writing a ICQ like contact organizer with JavaScript+DHTML, i am testing it under many platform, including Linux, Windows95, Windows 98, Windows NT. My Contact Organizer will refresh the contact list(who is online/offline) from the server every 1 minute and redisplay the users in the contact organizer, so the DHTML, CSS part will rewrite from a hidden frame (use JavaScript and PHP3) to contact window everytime. The problem is
    how come my Netscape 4.05 on Windows 95 will display page fault run time error after i just let my ICQ contact organizer running there after 10 minute. This is not happen in Netscape 4.72, IE4, IE5. Is it Netscape 4.05 got memory leak problem in JavaScript?

Thank you.

William Ng.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

NS 4.05 uses Javascript 1.2
    NS 4.06 up & IE5 use javascript 1.3
    But since IE4 uses JS 1.2, I can only assume your problem has to do with differences in the DOM.

The IE browser uses a bubble-up approach to event handlers and the DOM where NS uses a route-down approach. P.S. Since the bubble-up approach is adopted by ECMAscript 262, perhaps JS 1.3 handles this differently thus the reason it works in NS 4.06 & up.

My guess without seeing the script, not that I'm master programmer by ANY means, is that you may have either created an object and/or object properties or methods, that you have strung together (ie: Object.prop1.prop2). If prop1 is not defined, NS wills not recognize it in v4.05 and below; even if it recognizes object or prop2. I've seen other people with a similar problem and I think this is what was wrong. Although they never wrote back to verify if that was the case.

I suggest you insure any properties and/or methods you use are valid for the objects you're using and are completely defined for NS.

Russ
  5. No Profile Picture

Dear Russ,

Where can i find the detail different about JavaScript 1.2 and Javascript 1.3?
    The JavaScript: The definitive Guide 3rd edition only talk about up to v1.2.

William Ng.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You can find all that at Netscape DevEdge Online:
    http://developer.netscape.com/docs/m...avascript.html

Spookster
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The netscape site Spookster recommended is a good one. Also, if you simply type javascript into your search engine, you'll come up with a myriad of sites to view.

Although somewhat expensive, I use Professional Javascript from www.wrox.com I also have the book you mentioned, which is a great book, but this one has 1200 pages of info. P.S. The O'Reilly book is better for beginners and intermediates. The Wrox text is best for intermediates to advanced. Together, they make a great pair.