1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can I execute another program from PHP?

Hi!

I am asking for some input from a user that is in another language for the help of which I have a program that shows the keyboard layout (along with editing box) of all the alphabets in that language. Now I want to put a 'Help' button next to the user input box and when clicked on that box, I want this keyboard layout program to pop-up on the screen where a user can create text in that language which can be then copied and pasted in the user input box of my PHP script (or if you have any better solution than this I would be grateful to hear that). Now is it possible? If yes, how do I go about it? The software for the keyboard layout can be made available to the clients on their respective machines. All my client machines have Windows OS (one or the other) and my PHP scripts are being hosted by a Linux web server. How do I achieve the desired results?

Thanks in advance for any help! It is truly appreciated!
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You can't launch programs from a webpage (unless you use Flash or Java).

You can, however, make a new webpage that looks like that keyboard thing, lets people click buttons, and then automatically "types" those characters into whatever text box they should go in. That's a Javascript thing. Does that sound reasonable?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by requinix
    You can't launch programs from a webpage (unless you use Flash or Java).

You can, however, make a new webpage that looks like that keyboard thing, lets people click buttons, and then automatically "types" those characters into whatever text box they should go in. That's a Javascript thing. Does that sound reasonable?
    Thank you so much! I think that does sound sensible and doable.
  7. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Moved from PHP

The first and probably most obvious step is to come up with a page that shows the keyboard. It can look however you want and will pop up from a call to window.open(); the end result will be that clicking each button fires off a Javascript event which, having been told where the "owning" textbox is, inserts in the corresponding character.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by requinix
    The first and probably most obvious step is to come up with a page that shows the keyboard. It can look however you want and will pop up from a call to window.open(); the end result will be that clicking each button fires off a Javascript event which, having been told where the "owning" textbox is, inserts in the corresponding character.
    Thank you! Will try it out for sure!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo