1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can Javascript do the same as PHP?

A PHP script dynamically creates a table of contents and thumbnail images.I was wondering if the same script could be written using Javascript.

I havent coded in JS before and dont know if there are JS equivalents to PHP's fgetcsv(), ImageCopyResampled(),ImageJpg()...etc functions which are needed to read the contents of a csv file and thunbnail an image.

Would appreciate all suggestions. Thanks.
  3. Psycho Canadian
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

if all the content that JS needed was available to it I beileve it is, there might not be functins premade for it but you could create them. I have a limited knowledge of JS but from what I've seen alot can be done with it.
  5. Gogo Google.

Javascript doesn't do that sort of thing, unfortunately. It doesn't read the filesystem, nor have any image functions. It's a basic scripting language It can never do that either, because it's a client-side language.
  7. Contributing User

Thanks Jeb

The site already contains a JS shopping cart script. Would you happen to know if the pages are saved as .php, would that script still work? I dont see why not, but would like to ask before i mess up the site.
  9. Gogo Google.

Yes, the site will still work. Whenever PHP encounters anything outside of a PHP code block, it simply spits it out to the browser with no changes. That includes HTML, and JavaScript.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo