1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Aphonik

These are excellent tutorial for javascript (some say the best on the web)

Aphonik
    hmm the best tutorials are no longer there. Any updates on this one?
  3. 4:04 Time Not Found
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Last edited by Kravvitz; June 14th, 2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added an updated link
    I am so smart, I am so smart, S.M.R.T ... I mean S.M.A.R.T.

Stop Using Pop-Ups
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks guys
  7. Pasan Indeewara

Thanks. I bookmarked em' all useful
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by rycamor
    If you want to approach Javascript as a programming language, and understand how it really works, spend some time at Douglas Crockford's site. If you don't know the name, he happens to be one of the head Javascript gurus for Yahoo, as well as the inspiration behind the whole JSON concept. There are some good videos of Crockford's teaching sessions on Youtube and Google Video, also.

If you take the time to read through what he's talking about, especially with regard to objects, functions and prototyping, you might just reach the "Aha!!" moment where you really Get It. In spite of buggy browser implementations, the concepts behind Javascript are truly elegant.

Also, if you are interested in the future of Javascript, pay attention: it's going to get a LOT better soon. Already, Javascript 1.7 and 1.8 in the latest Mozilla browsers are introducing some great features, and when Javascript 2.0 (ECMAscript 4) comes out, I (and many other developers) think it will start to become a serious general-purpose language, not just a browser-based one.
    I agree. Javascript is the way of the future.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the list of resources.
  13. Autodidact
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Understanding how to register events in JavaScript is essential. Unfortunately the Web is littered with old tutorials promoting ancient techniques, which are mindlessly applied by any newbie to the language. However, it's not their fault. I find it bizarre how few the resources advocating proper standards really are.

Here are the three techniques for registering events in the DOM. The first two are linked merely for historical reasons, while the last demonstrates the correct and recommended approach.

Early event handlers (do not use)
    Traditional event registration model (do not use)
    Advanced event registration models (use this)

Another requisite for taking command of JavaScript is being able to access those events once registered. Do you want to know what key was pressed? Do you want to know the coordinates of a mouse click? Do you want to detect onscreen focus and mouse movement?

Event accessing
    Soldiers, from the height of these pyramids forty centuries look down upon you.
    ▪ Napoleon, on the eve of the Battle of the Pyramids
  15. No Profile Picture

All the peoples are interested in the future of Javascript, pay attention: it's going to get a LOT better soon. Already, Javascript 1.7 and 1.8 in the latest Mozilla browsers are introducing some great features, and when Javascript 2.0 (ECMAscript 4) comes out, I (and many other developers) think it will start to become a serious general-purpose language, not just a browser-based one.
  17. No Profile Picture

Wow this is really nice. Keep it coming. thanks
  19. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the list of resources...Ray
  21. No Profile Picture

I found this Javadoc style reference to be rather useful when I needed a quick refresher on DOM properties and built in object names.
  23. No Profile Picture

Thanks!

Thanks for shared! I need it!
  25. No Profile Picture

How to Learn JavaScript Properly

javascriptissexy.com/how-to-learn-javascript-properly/
  27. No Profile Picture

JavaScript - Up to Speed in No Time

I compiled a list of resources for learning JavaScript called "JavaScript - Up to Speed in no Time".

Lots of great links there that will take you from utter newbie to JavaScript mastery.

This is my first post, so I can't post links, but if you Google "Eric Elliott learning javascript" you should find it easily.

Here's a preview:

The List

CodeAcademy – Interactive JavaScript lessons online (beginners)

JavaScript for Cats – JavaScript, so easy even your human companion could do it!

Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming – Marijn Haverbeke Covers basic programming concepts in language that’s easy to understand.

Essential JavaScript and jQuery Design Patterns for Beginners, by Addy Osmany

JavaScript: The Good Parts – Douglas Crockford – Perhaps the best book ever written about JavaScript.

Programming JavaScript Applications – Eric Elliott (that’s me) – Learn how to apply your JavaScript knowledge to develop full fledged applications.

Learning Advanced JavaScript – John Resig – An online, interactive tutorial covering some of JavaScript’s advanced features.

The Little JavaScripter – Learn Functional Programming With Scheme, and how to translate that to JavaScript.

10 Things I Learned from the jQuery Source – Paul Irish

11 More Things I Learned from the jQuery Source – Paul Irish – More great video

Future Proofing Your JavaScript Apps – A slideshow about JavaScript application architecture by Addy Osmani

Intro to Backbone.js

JavaScript’s Hottest Tech

You should also learn these:

jQuery
    Underscore.js
    Backbone.js
    Browserify
    Grunt
    Node.js
    Express
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For the purposes of this board, I think it'd help everyone to use jsfiddle as much as possible. For OP to demonstrate their broken code, for people to demonstrate working code or show how to fix, etc. If someone posts "my code isn't working" a good response would be "well, put up a jsfiddle that shows your problem." Or "here is a jsfiddle that demonstrates a working thing like what you described."

Posting code on there can do a lot more than simply dropping a [code] block in your post.

http://jsfiddle.net

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo