1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to use Javascript to set state of checkboxes defined as PHP array?

I'm dynamically creating a group of checkboxes. The values are passed to a second page where they are processed by PHP. I want to use Javascript to check all boxes or uncheck all boxes. The form has the name checkboxes:
    <form name="form" action="process_checkboxes.php3">
    If I were to define the checkboxes using different names without putting them into a PHP array, then I know how to use Javascript to check or uncheck all the boxes. For example, I could create the checkboxes thusly:

<input type="checkbox" name="checkbox1" value="some_value1">
    <input type="checkbox" name="checkbox2" value="some_value2">
    I could then check all the checkboxes with a function that would contain:

document.form.checkbox1.checked = true;
    document.form.checkbox2.checked = true;
    I could also give the checkboxes the same name and Javascript automatically creates an array, identifying each checkbox with an index it generates. Here are checkboxes with the same name:

<input type="checkbox" name="same_name" value="some_value1">
    <input type="checkbox" name="same_name" value="some_value2">
    This would generate a JS array named "same_name", the elements of which could be accessed using the indices [0] and [1].

I could check both these boxes with a function containing

document.checkboxes.same_name[0].checked = true;
    document.checkboxes.same_name[1].checked = true;
    So far, so good. Here's the problem. In order to have PHP on the form-processing page successfully process the checkboxes with the same name, they must be named using the PHP convention using "[]" in the name. Using this convention the boxes would be named as follows:

<input type="checkbox" name="same_name[]" value="some_value1">
    <input type="checkbox" name="same_name[]" value="some_value2">
    Here's the problem. Apparently adding the [] screws up creation of the Javascript array because I can no longer set the checked state. I get a JS error "document.checkboxes.same_name.0 is not an object". Apparently the JS array value is not created. I would appreciate any pointers as to what I'm doing wrong or for another solution. Thanks very much.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

you can use the "for ... in ..." construct or access the checkboxes by their number (at least in IE) like this:

document.checkboxes['same_name'][0]

(untested, maybe document.checkboxes['same_name[]'][0] )
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Solution Found

After posting my question, I found various other solutions posted elsewhere. Apparently lots of people run into this problem of accessing the PHP checkbox array with JS. For others looking for a solution to this problem, don't look under the heading HTML/Javascript, look under the heading PHP. I found lots of solutions at www.phpbuilder.com/forum/ in their PHP forum.

Lots of people presented quite complicated solutions. The simplest solution I found was a little script that works well for me. Here's the script:

<script language="JavaScript">
    <!--

function UncheckAll() {
    document.form_name.reset();
    }

function CheckAll() {
    with (document.form_name) {

for (var i=0; i < elements.length; i++) {
    if (elements[i].type == 'checkbox' && elements[i].name == 'checkbox_name[]')
    elements[i].checked = true;
    }
    }
    }

//-->
    </script>
    Note: This script is for the situation in which all the checkboxes are given the same name using the [] so that PHP recognizes you are creating an array. For example:

<input type="checkbox" name="checkbox_name[]" value="value1">
    <input type="checkbox" name="checkbox_name[]" value="value2">

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo