1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Joining a chat channel within a game.

Alright I have been baking my noodle on this one for several hours now.

So my site is based on EVE Online, Incursions specifically.

Thus far im pretty well able to do everything it is that I want to do, except for one thing.

In eve you have your respective channel that you can join from numerous amount of communities. Other web sites I have visited that are about EVE have links in their pages that allow visitors to join channels within the game using the In-Game Browser aka IGB.

I cant manage to figure out how to work it with yola.

This site uses:
    <a href="javascript:CCPEVE.joinChannel('SAQD.Pub');return false;">SAQD Incursions

Doesn't work for yola.

This site uses:
    <a href="javascript:void(0)" onclick="CCPEVE.joinChannel('EVEalopalous')">Chat Room

Doesnt work for yola.

If you google "Somerblink" they too have the use of this feature, but I cant seem to find it in the page source.

Their link is connected somehow to the "Join our Channel"

Ive been tinkering with all the different type here, and even tried a few that ive found over the webs.

EVE has set up a nice page with all their codes for this, but I would presume every web hosting site can be slightly different.

Google: EVE IGB and you will see the information they provide.

The yola forums are pretty scarece for people that know what they are doing, so im left with no choice but to search elswer.

Im really loving making this site, but I have alot to learn and im very willing to take the time and learn.

Thank you for your time.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Java and JavaScript are entirely unrelated languages. I've moved your question to the JavaScript message board, though I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. Transforming Moderator

o7

Yola... the place with free websites and a website builder? Where is your site now so we can take a look?
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Java and JavaScript are entirely unrelated languages. I've moved your question to the JavaScript message board, though I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.
    Ok thank you, and pardon my ignorance.
    I made my site May 22 2013 and its my first website.
    All of this is extremely new to me, but im seriously enjoying the experience, even with the consistent headaches lol.

First things first, to give you a better idea of things, Im playing EVE Online.
    The game has an in game browser and from what I can tell its using Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.
    Like most games people make fan sites for their game like I am doing now.
    Since EVE has an IGB people use it to their advantage with the blessing of EVE, so much so if you Google "EVE IGB" you will get a page that will help you add things to your site that can be used in game.

For instance.
    If you add this to your website.
    <a href="javascript:CCPEVE.showInfo('3888')">Co-Processor II</a>
    It will give you a link that when clicked it would open the skill/module in the actual game in the in game information tab.
    Adding something like this.
    <a href="javascript:CCPEVE.showMarketDetails('3888')">800k</a>
    Would open the specifically link skillbook/module in the in game market.
    and much much more.

If you were to Google "evealopalous" and look at the Main Menu bar you would see "Chat Room" When you click on the link from the IGB, the link would open a physical chat window within the game itself.
    In the page-source of this site is where I found
    <a href="javascript:void(0)" onclick="CCPEVE.joinChannel('EVEalopalous')">Chat Room
    along with the other script i had posted before from an entirely different page.

I made a thread in the eve forums and did recive a message from one individual.
    I have been playing with their idea pretty much all day, but I cant post a pastebin in here so I cant show you what I have tried.
    Regardless thank you for your time.

requinix o7

Yola... the place with free websites and a website builder? Where is your site now so we can take a look?
    Love the salute o7, do you play EVE ?
    I only ask because its the only place I have ever seen it used.
    I cant currently post the site because I cant link sites within these pages, dunno what it takes, but yeah.
    You cant Google it either for some reason, something to do with SOE or w/e, still learning about that too.
    I don't want to put anything in here that might get me in trouble.
    To answer your question, its still with Yola, and I have the silver package, I do question their employees tho.
    They don't seem to be really good with most of this stuff, I truly don't think this would be to advanced.
    Its getting easier as I go and ive only been doing it for less then a month really.
    Would you suggest I pick someone else ?
  9. Transforming Moderator

Originally Posted by Incursion Guru
    I have been playing with their idea pretty much all day, but I cant post a pastebin in here so I cant show you what I have tried.
    You can post links as long as they don't look like links. Like add a couple spaces in the hostname.

Love the salute o7, do you play EVE ?
    I only ask because its the only place I have ever seen it used.
    Only since February. And I haven't seen it used anywhere else either. It's like the secret EVE handshake or something

I don't want to put anything in here that might get me in trouble.
    As long as you aren't spamming us or being abusive or, you know, doing something really bad you'll be fine. Like the anti-URL policy is old and only to help stop spammers.

To answer your question, its still with Yola, and I have the silver package, I do question their employees tho.
    They don't seem to be really good with most of this stuff, I truly don't think this would be to advanced.
    Its getting easier as I go and ive only been doing it for less then a month really.
    Would you suggest I pick someone else ?
    As long as their service isn't breaking your Javascript (which could be, based on how many "free website" schemes work) you'll be okay. But consider the fact that, for example, Amazon's AWS offers something practically free* for a low-spec machine that can easily host a website: I pay $0.56 a month for a website that I don't really maintain. And domain names are really cheap too. Like, $10 a year. Put them together and you're running a site for less than a dollar a month.

Notice how little that is compared to the cost of an EVE subscription

* You can actually get something entirely free, their Free Tier, but it does lack some things that are good to have for websites.

Anyways, you've got a Pastebin thing? Do you have something showing the source of the page that's not working? Preferably the source from your browser (like with a View Source command) and not just what you have written - in case these Yola people are doing something to mess it up. An actual URL we can visit works too.
    Last edited by requinix; June 7th, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    You can post links as long as they don't look like links. Like add a couple spaces in the hostname.

Only since February. And I haven't seen it used anywhere else either. It's like the secret EVE handshake or something

As long as you aren't spamming us or being abusive or, you know, doing something really bad you'll be fine. Like the anti-URL policy is old and only to help stop spammers.

As long as their service isn't breaking your Javascript (which could be, based on how many "free website" schemes work) you'll be okay. But consider the fact that, for example, Amazon's AWS offers something practically free* for a low-spec machine that can easily host a website: I pay $0.56 a month for a website that I don't really maintain. And domain names are really cheap too. Like, $10 a year. Put them together and you're running a site for less than a dollar a month.

Notice how little that is compared to the cost of an EVE subscription

* You can actually get something entirely free, their Free Tier, but it does lack some things that are good to have for websites.

Anyways, you've got a Pastebin thing? Do you have something showing the source of the page that's not working? Preferably the source from your browser (like with a View Source command) and not just what you have written - in case these Yola people are doing something to mess it up. An actual URL we can visit works too.
    Answered in EVE Forums.
    https:::::::::::://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=245267

I was correct when I was posting in here, I needed to get the website trusted by the user in the IGB, I just had absolutely no idea how, nor if it would have even worked.

My site if you care to look at it, works much better within the IGB of EVE of course.
    http::::::::::::://incursionguru.yolasite.com/

Its a start with less then a month of work on it, plus being my first site ever, im very proud of it.

Yes the o7 is the secret handshake of EVE lol, I like it and its pretty unique and less boring than o/

If EVE is something that interests you, lemme know.
    I run Incursions, which are almost the highest source of income in the game, im of leadership and an FC for these sites.
    I can show you around even.

Regardless, im rambling. Its not often you find others randomly that play EVE.

Oh and I will be looking into other hosts I think, but its doing the trick for now.

Thank you very much for your time and your help.

FlySafe o7
    IG

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo