1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

JQuery newby needs help getting jQuery carousel / slider working.

Hi guys.

I'm trying to implement a particular jQuery carousel / slider into my web page but it's not working.

According to the below two lines I'm assuming I need to install these two jQuery files on my server which I do not have and can't find :

<script type="text/javascript" src="jquery-1.7.2.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="wb.carousel.min.js"></script>

So far I've gotten the thing on my page where I want and I've gotten the first image to appear in the carousel but nothing happens (I'm assuming because I'm missing the actual jQuery files).

Any ideas on how to get this carousel working?

If I can't get that particular slider working, I also like this one :
    http://www.zurb.com/playground/jquery_image_slider_plugin

I'm new to jQuery so I'm not exactly sure how to get the carousel working, although I have gotten a menu bar to work.

Thanks for the help guys.
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Winterfell
    According to the below two lines I'm assuming I need to install these two jQuery files on my server which I do not have and can't find...
    When adding JavaScript resources to an HTML page, there are two general paths we can follow:

The first is to type the JavaScript code directly into the HTML file, wrapped in <script></script> tags.

The second is to link to an external (i.e. not in the HTML) file that contains the code necessary to perform certain functions.

What you have is an example of path 2. Your slider depends on certain functions that define it's operation. Those functions are stored in an external JavaScript file that the slider will attempt to read from.

What's more, several of those slider functions also depend on functions defined in the JQuery library, in this case version 1.7.2, that the slider will also try to read from.

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="jquery-1.7.2.min.js"></script>
     <script type="text/javascript" src="wb.carousel.min.js"></script>
    These statements, then, are telling the items in your HTML page where to find the JavaScript files they need to operate.

Therefore, to make the slider, or any script, work, you would need to point to valid copies of these files in a location that is either publicly accessible or owned by you, i.e. somewhere on your server.

- Null
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by null.if.ied

Therefore, to make the slider, or any script, work, you would need to point to valid copies of these files in a location that is either publicly accessible or owned by you, i.e. somewhere on your server.

- Null

Right. I figured that but thanks for verifying it.

I think I've done that successfully with a menubar.

Regarding the carousel:
    The question is, where do I get those two files so I can put them on my site and make this thing work?

I've searched the net and couldn't find em.

I don't want to externally link offsite.

I have found other newer versions of the jQuery library files but I can't find the ones I've need.

If I can't find those files then maybe I'll have to try to get the orbit carousel/slider working.

Thanks.
  7. No Profile Picture

Just try searching on the filenames, that should turn up a few results:

jquery-1.7.2.min.js:
    http://blog.jquery.com/2012/03/21/jquery-1-7-2-released/
    specifically: http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.7.2.min.js

wb.carousel.min.js:
    This was a lot harder to find. Where did you see this carousel? From what I can gather, WB seems to stand for WYSIWYG Web Builder, so this is a custom carousel library for that suite. It doesn't appear to be free, but you can find all of that information by searching Google for "WYSIWYG Web Builder 8." I imagine the .js file you're looking for will be in the .zip.

- Null
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by null.if.ied
    Just try searching on the filenames, that should turn up a few results:

jquery-1.7.2.min.js:
    http://blog.jquery.com/2012/03/21/jquery-1-7-2-released/
    specifically: http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.7.2.min.js

wb.carousel.min.js:
    This was a lot harder to find. Where did you see this carousel? From what I can gather, WB seems to stand for WYSIWYG Web Builder, so this is a custom carousel library for that suite. It doesn't appear to be free, but you can find all of that information by searching Google for "WYSIWYG Web Builder 8." I imagine the .js file you're looking for will be in the .zip.

- Null

Btw, what do you think of that product WYSIWYG?

I don't have Windows which WYSIWYG requires.

I see many different carousels and try to get them working... Hope I can.

I am actually thinking about buying his program and using a sample version of Windows to run it

Thanks a lot !

I'll give it a go and report back with the results
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

NEW Update here:

After looking at the app it appears they are using galleria's free carousel but maybe modified a bit.
    I messed around with the galleria one but didn't like some of the way it works then :

I FOUND THE ws.carousel.min.js file online and uploaded it to my site and the carousel is NOW WORKING

I have to still get the tiny circle images for the carousel part which indicates which images are being shown so I will grab them from the app I guess.

When I get Windows I'll buy this app it seems very cool. Too bad it's not for Mac though.

I would like to also get the orbit slider working. If anyone has any tips and can offer some help to get that one working, that would be awesome.

Thanks everyone.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo