1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Map and its capabilities

Hey,
    Im working on a project using HTML, CSS, and Javascript to make a map similar to google maps but alot simpler.

I would like the same functionality including mouse zooming and click-to-drag. I also would like to make thousands of individual blocks segmented diffrerently to identify each block.

i.e.
    the main webpage would be the world map and when you zoom in by x16 (for example) you will see blocks after blocks (pictures etc) then using click-to-drag in order to view more (blocks/pictures).

I hope im making sense about what i am trying to achieve and as regards to roads and streets that you find on a normal map - this part is something i would not be looking to add.

I was thinking if HTML, CSS, and Javascript would allow me to create such a thing or would i be needing Python/API - I know there are loads of ready made maps you can edit online/download but i would like to create my own thing.

Thanks for any suggestions.
  3. A Not To Shabby Code Smurf
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by brendon20uk
    I know there are loads of ready made maps you can edit online/download but i would like to create my own thing.
    Kind of hard to re-invent the wheel; when you have limited tools. The people who created these types of maps have in-depth skills in web development. And... no offense, but if your asking others how to do this; your probably not at the level you need to be at, to create something like this.

I have been doing web development for years and I would not even begin trying to start a project like this from scratch (with no external software backbone support). But, if I would make a go of it and try something like this... I would look into some type of Map or GPS API. Also, if I were you... I would delve into HTML5 Canvases or Flash; as the base layout for this map your wanting to create. You will need some type of API and/or Server Side Code (like Python) to interact with your JavaScript/AJAX.

Originally Posted by brendon20uk
    I was thinking if HTML, CSS, and Javascript would allow me to create such a thing or would i be needing Python/API
    So... yeah, you would pretty much need all of that.
    Last edited by web_loone08; December 28th, 2012 at 08:06 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo