1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Transfer variable from url to external javascript file

Hi all,

I've got my main php file which opens an external .js file and in this external .js file is a popup window script with the link to open in this popup window. Now what I want to know is how to transfer a variable from my main php file through url to this external .js file? I know how to transfer a variable to another php file.

For example:

In the external .js file the link to open in this new popup window is a fixed link and I want to replace it with the variable from my main php file. So if I click on the link it must transfer the variable through url to the external .js file and open it, but how do I transfer it to javascript?
  3. Senior Member
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

This has more to do with JavaScript but ok...

If I understand you correct you have this external .js file and a .php file where you 'create' the links you want to external .js file to handle (in the popup)? If that's the case, then just load the .js file AFTER the variables in the .php file: (basic version)
    PHP Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <script language="JavaScript">
    <?
    echo "var url = 'http://forums.devshed.com' ";
    ?>
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="external_script.js"></script>
    </head>
    <body>
    <?

// stuff

?>
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

PHP | MySQL | DevShed Forum Search | Google Search

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo