1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Does anyone know of a tutorial for getting a javascript nav to cross over frames?

I am still new at learing how to get javascript and frames to play nice with each other. I had submited an inquery a couple of days ago for help with getting my javascript nav to cross over frames seemlessly. And I have been putting the advice to work. But my script is driveing me insane and I was wondering if anyone knew of a tutorial that would help me do this act. Thank you for your time.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I don't know about a tutorial per se, but the key to getting javascript and frames to cooperate is twofold.

First, have a real solid understanding of your own frame implementation. Know it cold. Know how the frames that the main window holds, and which child frames have further child frames.

Then know the DHTML window properties cold. The opener, parent, self, and top members of the window object are key to being able to move across frames. Check the properties of the window object at the msdn.

Once you know how your implementation works, and how it relates to the DHTML DOM, scripting should be a breeze, it's just a matter of accessing the right window object. This may not sound like alot of help, but really, that's all there is to it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo