1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Opening a new window using HTML (not JavaScript)

Okay, I have a feeling I already know the answer to this, but I will ask just in case I am working on out-dated info...

To open an html link in a new window, say foo.html, one would write the code
    <a href="foo.html" target="_blank">. Is there a way to control the properties of this new window (such as height, width, etc)?

I know how to do this with JavaScript window.open(), but I need to use html links for search engine reasons. And I have a feeling the answer will be no, but I felt I should ask just in case anyone has any ideas, or there have been advances that I am not aware of.
  3. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The answer is no, but you can do the following, which will continue to allow the search spiders to follow the particular URL.
    Code:
    <a href="foo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href,'newWindow');">
    The other nice advantage to this is that those w/o JS enabled will still be able to follow the link as well.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for the tip, but the is still the problem of the parent changing as well. Any ideas to something that could be added in the onClick handler to cause the parent to stay put?
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Code:
    <a href="foo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href,'newWindow'); return false;">
    Good ole' return false...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo