1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Yahoo! Web Player replacement

Hello All - I am new to the Forum, and just wanted to ask a question...

I'm not sure if you noticed, but the sinking ship called Yahoo! just decided to discontinue a number of services. While I couldn't care less about most of them, their Web Player was a really cool and functional javascript that populated any audio or video links on a page into a playlist, then played them in sequential order in a 'pop-out' player...

(I have a screenshot of it in operation, but as a new user, I'm unable to insert the URL here.)

It was simple, it was great, and it allowed you to pull together media from many different sources and access them randomly and on demand from anywhere on the page. I had recently built a website that relied heavily on the Web Player script, which without it is now a bunch of links to various YouTube pages, etc. - not the same experience, to say the least.

My question: Would it be possible to host some kind of version of this simple script myself? Is there anyone out there willing to author a replacement?? I've looked around at other 'players' and none of them do what the Yahoo script did. I really can't imagine why they would walk away from it like that...

Anyway, any thoughts or ideas on where I go from here would be greatly appreciated!

-red kelly
    cosimocode.com
  3. A Not To Shabby Code Smurf
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Check this post out; it might be helpful to you.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ript-not-found

In that post; there is a link on Google Code, that has the Yahoo Web Player external JavaScript file. From what I take, from the stackoverflow post; it is code that actually either creates player or makes it work. I did not download it and have never used the Yahoo Web Player before; so I really do not know either way, but anyway... here's the link.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

THANK YOU!! I'm not quite sure yet how to implement it, but it's AWESOME to know that the code has leaked out... I should be able to figure it out from here (I Hope!).

Thanks Again!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo