1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question client-side search w/ javascript

Hello all,

I am trying to determine the best means of implementing a search capability for a HTML-based help system.

The help system is viewed from a three-frame browser window (MSIE 5.0 or higher; I do have the luxury of being certain of the browser).

Requirements are as follows:

Browser frames are arranged with banner frame spanning the top of the window. Second and third frames appear below the banner frame.

Second frame displays the search form inputs and buttons.

Third frame displays search results.

Results should be links preferably retrieved from a db but any solution with reasonable speed/input flexibility will do.

There are approximately 400 distinct HTML pages in the help system totalling about 600MB in all.

All files will live on the local drive.

The only javascript site search scripts I've seen simply list out all the pages for a given site as an array and match values to form input. Even though the files are going to live on the local drive I'm worried about speed with the given volume of files.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Basil Seal
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Unfortunately that's the only real way to do client side searches, using arrays. Client side it would be better to do some sort of folder-tree than a search system. You really need to use PHP;Perl or ASP to do a search system.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo