1. No Profile Picture
    Web Developer
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IE is killing my javascript rollovers when I open a popup window

Howdy,

I've never had this happen before. Or at least, I've never noticed. I'm using IE 6.0.26.
    Here's the scenario: I preload some small graphics for my top icon driven menu on my web pages(www.blueyota.com). Here's the first problem. Look at http://www.blueyota.com/photos_nissan_240.jsp for reference. When I click on one of the thumbnail images there, Internet Explorer dumps my rollovers. The browser completely reloads all the rollover images. In fact, ANY time I open a new window using javascript IE dumps my rollover graphics.

Has this happened to anyone before? It doesn't do that in Netscape 6. Any help would be appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I can't see a problem. I'm also using IE6.0.2600.0000

Only thing I can suggest is to replace the # in your links with javascript:

<a href="javascript:" onclick="yourFunction()">
    If you still have problems try
    <a href="javascript:" onclick="yourFunction(); return false">
  5. No Profile Picture
    Web Developer

You mean it doesn't dump the roll-overs in your browser? Click the link for one of those pictures, then mouse over an icon on the top bar. In my browser it has to reload the roll-over before it can display it.

I don't think changing the "#" link will help. Go to my links page: http://www.blueyota.com/links.jsp This page is full of normal links, but they all open in popup windows, and it does the same thing here as on the picture page in my browser. I click a link, I close the link window, I go to mouse over an icon and it has to reload the roll-over.

Please let me know if it doesn't do this on your browser. If that's the case, then it's probably a problem with my cache or something. Thanks!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't think changing the "#" link will help
    I'd try it
    The # is the HTML for an Anchor, which means the the link is reloading the page, I think that this is why your rollovers are resetting.

Changing the link to <a href="javascript:" will prevent the page from reloading.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Web Developer

Ok, against my better judgement I tried it. You can see for yourself: http://www.blueyota.com/photos_nissan_240.jsp

It still does the same thing. You click the link - the popup comes up - you close the popup or minimize it - and the browser thinks it has to reload the roll-over graphics on the top right menu icons.

Listen, it's not the javascript or the "#" link. It's the act of opening a new window. This page: http://www.blueyota.com/links.jsp has NO JAVASCRIPT and no "#" tag. Just real links. And it does the same thing.

Does anyone see what I'm talking about? Does it happen on your browser too? Or is it just mine?

Has anyone had this happen to them before? Is there a work around? Thanks.
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi

I tried it in NS4.76/IE/4/5/5.5/6/NS6.........

And I don't see any problem.........

F!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It seems to be a complicated Preload image script.
    Can you experiment with a simpler preload image script?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Web Developer

I've tried it in NS6 too. I didn't have any problems with NS. I suppose it must just be my local browser cache configuration or something. I switched hard disk letters recently, and one of the IE config or registry settings must be trashed.

Yes, I'm trying some more simple preload scripts. The problem I have is deciding what I want to preload. It's kinda a large site.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo