1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Using php with DHTML

I'm trying to set up a php/MySQL content management system (ezPublish) for my site, and would like to incorporate some DHTML content, for example a static menu that floats down the page as you scroll.

I have the site design the way I want it (nearly), however I've found that the inclusion of the floating layer makes certain page loads extremely slow, to the point of timing out in some cases. If I take out the floating layer, everything works as you would expect.

Does anyone have any experience with this combination who could suggest what the problem might be? I'm not a programmer in either php or javascript, but have been able to hack some pretty good solutions in the past. This one I can't figure out though.

TIA
    RWW
  3. No Profile Picture
    Polynesian Monkey God

It was issues like that which convinced me to make the jump from html/dhtml/javascript over to using Macromedia Flash. Combined with PHP and MySQL, there is almost no limit to what I can do now. Sorry for not being able to answer your question.
    "We're all - monkeys!" -- Jeffrey Goines, 12 Monkeys
  5. No Profile Picture

So can you point me to some resources for such things as dynamic menus, etc combining flash, php, and mysql.

Thanks.
    RWW
  7. No Profile Picture
    The Bisifiniti

I don't understand how much this has to do with PHP, but http://www.dynamicdrive.com has some good DHTML scripts.
  9. Web Monkey

I refuse to be from anywhere, I am one with the internet
    Originally posted by Bisifiniti
    I don't understand how much this has to do with PHP, but http://www.dynamicdrive.com has some good DHTML scripts.
    I'll vouch for that. The site rules with it comes to stuff like that.
    Quick, think of something geeky to say before they catch on!
    Mozilla is your friend!
    Web Site
  11. No Profile Picture
    Polynesian Monkey God

Originally posted by rwwood
    So can you point me to some resources for such things as dynamic menus, etc combining flash, php, and mysql.
    Flashkit (www.flashkit.com) is the best for that, but remember that you have to shell-out the cash for Flash in order to work with it. For me, it's worth the money, but not everyone. There are also a couple of PHP modules which can create SWFs (the same Shockwave files that Flash creates), but -- since I've never used them -- I can't give a honest review of them.

Hope that helps!
    "We're all - monkeys!" -- Jeffrey Goines, 12 Monkeys

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo