1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Can Javascript considerably slow down web pages?

The company I work for leases a Cobalt RaQ from Demon(Thus).

I recently had a telephone conversation with them regarding the fact that some, but not all of our users have experienced incredibly slow page loading times, even when they're connected using broadband.

The guy I spoke to has sent me an email with the following:

"We believe that your web sites are written using Javascript and therefore some older browsers tend to be a lot slower when rendering and dealing with this type of content. You could check with your users which browser they're using and if it's older than IE 6, this could very well be where the problem lies."

Opinions please!
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Ouch, what a nice remark.. if it's older than IE6 then don't bother?... hmmm, interesting thought. Can't see why IE6 is the cutoff point, back in the days when I used erm.. cough... NS4, javascript still worked fine enough. It even worked in NS3, so I can't see a real problem there.

It's the speed of the clients machine / connection that counts, but there could be other things too... what you need to do is to check the time it takes for the file to render, you can do this by calculating a time early on in the script, then calculating another 'onLoad'. If there's a vast difference then it's something wrong with the page and not the connection.

A link would be nice...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

http://www.solartronmobrey.com

Have a look at that.
    At work, it loads quickly as you would expect it to (2MB/second connection though!) but even when viewed over a dial up it still loads without speed problems.

The speed issue only seems to be apparent on the South coast of the UK.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo